Tuesday, January 22, 2008

doggie question

This isn't a quilty question, but I know there are so many dog lovers on here that no one will mind. Our 6 year old husky mix has apparently torn the ligaments in her knee and is limping. The vet says it'll cost $1500 for surgery and then she'll have six months of rehab (whatever that entails for a dog?!). I'm currently trying glucosomine controitin (sp?) pills to help her, but they're supposed to take 4-6 weeks before you see much improvement.

My question is, has anyone else had this surgery for their dog? What are we talking about for rehab? (At the time, I didn't ask the vet much about rehab because I was still under sticker shock over the cost of the surgery.) I was hoping that putting the dog on a diet (she's a bit overweight) and trying the pills would make enough of a difference that we might get away without the surgery, but now I'm not so sure. SIGH. It's only been two weeks, but we're all feeling badly for our baby who is limping. Through it all, she continues to appear happy, but we feel badly all the same.

Jean

2 Comments:

At January 22, 2008 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

Jean, the ligament surgeries have become as sophisticated for dog & cats as people, unfortunately that translates to higher costs, but also better outcomes. I'm guessing the rehab means limited use, maybe
some confinement, not sure if you would have to actually help her exercise in a special way.
If your dog is fairly young go for it.
I have a friend that has elected not to do it for her older dog & she does limp & she uses pain meds, but does OK, no more walks. There are new plans like "Care Credit" that can help with payment plans.
Jill

 
At January 22, 2008 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

I went back & reread your letter Jean, 6 is sort of middle age, but I would have it done.
i think you'll be happy you did.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home