Saturday, January 19, 2008

West Coast checking in

Hi, Heather! You are right on all counts -- our weather is not like yours (it is raining and the snowdrops are blooming here) and I have indeed been both busy and sick. I caught flu in early December and have only in the last 10 days started getting my energy back. It was a rough time and really put a crimp in Christmas. At the end of November my little old lady got to the top of the waiting list for a bed in the nicest care facility in this part of the world, after being on the list for a year, and moved into her new place. She had lived in her home for 35 years and her daughter and grandson had also lived there for about 14 of those years. No one ever threw anything out in all that time, I swear! As soon as I could function after Christmas I started the huge job of cleaning out the house and the outbuildings, with help from DH and our son and occasional bits of help from others. It is almost done now, with only a couple of days left to go. And then I will be able to do some of the many things that have gone on the back burner for the last few years -- like quilting, gardening, travelling... It is almost like retiring all over again!

Jane, I am sending you healing thoughts. I hope all goes very well for you and you make an amazingly fast recovery. I know what you mean about the iPod. My kids and granddaughter have them and they are way too complex for me! I got a very simple to operate player from the people who make the cards for digital cameras (San something?) and have loaded several books and a lot of music on it. I am planning to listen to Anna Karenina when we go to Europe in the summer.

Did I tell you all about the feral cat colony that my rescue group has been trying to relocate? About 17 feral cats that we have previously spayed and neutered that were suddenly to be evicted from their home? With no choice but to euthanize them if new homes could not be found? I am pleased to report that with a lot of prayer and good will from a number of great people we have found farms and barns for almost all of them! There are only a couple more out there and I *think* I have a place for them to go if we can trap them. We consider this a huge victory! It is so hard to get people to care about wild cats.

Here I go again! There were several posts I was going to comment on but I did not write anything down and now my fuzzy post-menopausal memory is playing its usual tricks! Very frustrating! But as soon as the house clean up is finished and the sale completes I will be able to drop in here more often and maybe even participate again. I would love that!

Jean, ready for an early night

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home