Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I am back, too!

Great to see people coming back to say hello! It has inspired me to do the same.

I have just made a huge change in my life -- one that will be for the better once the dust settles. The elderly lady (98 years old) I have been looking after for the last five years went into a care home last week. I have had a staff of five plus public health workers caring for her in her home for the last couple of years, but the house was aging badly and most of the systems -- plumbing, wiring, the furnace, the roof -- needed immediate and expensive repairs. I have had her name on a waiting list for a year and a bed finally became available for her. She was pretty sure she did not want to move but happily she likes the new place and is settling in really well. I am thrilled! Now I have to empty her house and sell it in the next few months, but once that is done I will have my life back! I am already planning a trip to Europe for next summer!

The next time you hear me say that someone looks like they need my help please tie me to a chair until it passes! This little 'helping the neighbour' thing has turned into a full time and unpaid job that has gone on for years! (Some of you may remember the story of me hiring the bikers to get rid of the sociopathic con man who had moved onto the property and was trying to arrange an early death for the old lady...)

Anyway, soon I will be able to go back to sewing and gardening and doing my feral cat rescue work -- actually going back to being the retired person I started out to be a few years back! This is very exciting!

I have been working hard at raising money for my cat rescue group, with a satisfying amount of success. We are almost solvent these days! LOL Last year I did a calendar, using photos of some of our foster kitties and it sold well enough that I did another one this year. I just picked up 100 copies from the printer and my friend and I will bind them later in the week and get them out into the community for sale. I will love to have more time for this sort of thing.

And Christmas sewing -- I won't get much done *again* this year, but I do have one project for the grand children. I am making each of them pillowcases out of Cuddle-luscious fabric with satin hems, using bright colours to go with their rooms. My beloved granddaughter gets her favourite lime green with real silk satin for the hem... doesn't that sound decadent!

In celebration of my approaching emancipation I have joined a weekly sewing group and am still making most of the meetings of the design group I joined last year. I am hoping to be able to get the sewing done for the challenge project for that group -- maybe after Christmas...

Jean at Mill Bay, getting ready to head for a bath and bed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home