Monday, December 3, 2007

Protecting Precious (& other dogs)

Grace, this is a serious problem, one that a friend experienced in walking her two shelties in the Mono Cliffs Park not far from her home here in the country some years ago. Her female was attacked badly. The attack dog was running loose, which is allowed in the park, I believe. The owner was with the dog but not close enough to stop the attack. My friend's dog was injured as well. With Geordie's accident, fortunately I was there and the owner of the two Alaskan Sled dogs was nearby and hauled her two dogs off Geordie, otherwise, I think he would have been dead. I will never forget the trauma of it; Geordie has no memory of it other than he began to pick fights with dogs after that experience where he would never have done so before. He was feeling defensive and his fear came through as this.

I don't know what anyone can do in protecting an animal from other's aggressive behaviour. I might think of looking into carrying a can of Mace or something like that. I'm wondering if discussing this with your vet might provide information of how you can offer protection for your pet. Short of that, I'd be carrying a big stick and let others know that if their dogs are running loose and become aggressive with your dog, you will take measures to protect your dog and yourself which may cause injury to their animals even though it might be in self-defence.
Wonder if anyone else has any suggestions. It's a problem that country dwellers deal with more than city folks because less restrictions occur in the country and dogs roam more freely here.

Weather report: awful. Snowstorms brought six inches of snow Sat. overnight and rain all day yesterday; this morning, which is still dark outside, is ice. A good day to stay home but not sure I will be doing this. Will listen for school bus cancellations. This means that the sanders are not out as quickly as they might...and yes, just heard...school bus cancellations in Dufferin County...that's us.

Rosey

1 Comments:

At December 3, 2007 at 11:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

An elderly couple that walk in my neighborhood carry a cattle prod on their walks. We seem to have packs of stray dogs from time to time. This particular couple did have a problem one time with a stray. So now they carry protection. I have been told that it is against the law in some states to carry one of these foor protection. This might be a possible solution, but I would check it out first.
Pat in Flint

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home