Saturday, April 14, 2007

stuff and a question about frozen redbud trees

It occurs to me, as I've looked all week for more posts, that I haven't posted recently either. I'm trying to survive the last month and a half of school, my sinuses, and the unusual weather.
Does anyone know if redbud trees (large shade tree size) can recover from a night that froze all the leaves, which promptly turned black and fell off. I now have two large, bare, shade trees sitting in my front yard. Furthermore, a recent storm took the top off the large maple in the back, so we basically have no shade for the house. This is a very bad thing in Alabama. I shouldn't complain, though, because I still have a house.
I decided that I should finish at least one of my Grandmother's projects before I start a new one of my own. I'm taking the American Indian children (taken from a 5o's coloring book, but very cute) that she embroidered and painted, and setting them with some wonderful sashing strips from a Michael Miller stripe that looks native American, and matches the colors she had chosen. I'm sure she would have appliqued them if her hands would have allowed it, but these were some of the last things she tried to make. Back in the 50's and 60's she had made two twin bed quilts for my cousins, (embroidered and appliqued with the same designs) and these blocks were originally intended for one cousin's children. His wife is an "art quilter" and was not interested in them, so now the blocks are mine. I still may give them to my aunt, his mother, to pass on to her grown grandchildren or even great-grandchildren, if she thinks they would appreciate them more than my DC-In-Law did. I'll take a picture and post it when I get finished.
I think my next project will be a drunkard's path or some similar pattern. Mom wants a light weight summer quilt to put on the bed, and I think I want to try this pattern. She's even said that I can use blue and any other colors that go with blue, as opposed to the red she normally decorates with. Hah! Blue is a neutral. It goes with everything! I will make it primarily blue though...LOL
I can't imagine why someone who lives in Montgomery, Alabama might want a light-weight quilt for summer...
Laura in north Alabama

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home