Tuesday, April 10, 2007

KAREN IN KS - Love the snow picture. Why does it have the date 2/18/00 ??? Just wundrin' ..... LOL!

FROZEN EASTER - We had lows of 22°F for Easter weekend and some areas in the country read 19F. The frost on Sunday morning probably did a lot of damage as well in addition to the cold temps. Most of the leaves on the trees are dead now, the dogwoods are ruined, new crepe myrtle growth looks like lettuce that went past its sell-by date months ago. Now we're back into more normal weather, and I worry about fruit trees not bearing anything this year from the freezes. The farmers will have big problems, I'm afraid.

I realized yesterday that we leave for Ireland in five weeks and I'm not in shape for all the golf course walking. I got up at 4:30 a.m. this morning (aaaack!) to go walking with my dorky-looking pollen mask. I have to do this before sunrise so I don't frighten the neighbors! I'll probably crash around 3p.m. this afternoon. LOL

Have any of you taken all-day workshops from Sharyn Craig? If you did, how did you like the class? Our guild is hosting her in two weeks and I'm signed up for two workshops --- "Northwinds" and the "LeMoyne Star." I've got books, templates, etc. for that LeMoyne star and still never had the courage to attempt it. I'm hoping this class will guide me through it.

Nothing else new around here. Hugs to everyone!

TTFN,
Doris W. in TN

2 Comments:

At April 10, 2007 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

Hi, Doris!

Oh, dear, don't be frightened of the Lemoyne star! It is really quite painless! I took a class at a retreat I went to where we learned three different methods for making them, including Sharyn's. That is where I learned I hate paper piecing (the kind where you sew through the paper) and made the best star using the old fashioned inset/partial seam method. I ended up with a table runner made from the stars, since they all came out with nice flat middles, and then went on to make a bunch more Lemoyne stars for a sampler quilt I was doing. Really, the most trouble I had was cutting the diamonds...

Enjoy Ireland!

Jean

 
At April 10, 2007 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

Hi Doris,
I have taken classes from Sharyn, but not the Lemoyne star.
I know I'd love any of her classes.
The last one I took from her was on using orphan blocks, sets, I guess it was. We were so pumped after the class we were going to form a group on settings, & then try to get her to come back.
She's a Treasure!
The tips just roll out of her all day long, She's a blast, Jill

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home