Wednesday, November 7, 2012

IBS, etc. sensitive people

Ladies-isn;t it amazing how those who are "artsy" get IBS, migraines, and other sensitive-type things?  I was reading WEB MD, one of the few internet medical things I trust, and it said that IB is almost exclusively among women.  It also said that those prone to depression, anxiety, migraines, get the IBS.  I guess those who don't "feel" as much, have more cast-iron guts, and seldom get headaches.
As Rosey said, bland, boring food is best.  I had potato soup for lunch, and mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, and a few bites of chicken for dinner last night.  Dairy bothers some people, but I find the butter fat is what bothers my tummy.  I can eat plain yogurt, but putting nuts  in it is a no-no.  Nuts are supposed to be so good for you, but not for me.
Apples are in season in No. America, had been eating one a day.  I guess the apple peel is hard to digest, so may peel the ones I have left.  Just laying low, not having much fun is the way to go, but who wants to live life that way?  So, Bee, order some potato soup, or other soup you like when you go out, plain food, no cream, or ice cream.  As for desert, maybe sugar cookies or something else simple. (hard boiled egg for protein)
It is windy here this morning, but sunny.  Didn;t go on my 2 mi. walk this morning, as the head was hurting from the low-pressure system.  If I didn't have appt. with Mom's social worker and staff of nursing home would just go back to bed and read the latest Louise Penny book.  Got it in large print hoping Mom could read it, but --long sigh here --her eyesight and mental retention are so bad she can't.  Not being Catholic, or speaking French, it is a bit hard to understand some of the language.  Will ask Rosey at a later date to translate some for me.
Sara in Fla.

4 Comments:

At November 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

My IBS became diverticulitis but since going off gluten, the attacks are few and far between. Gluten, dairy & eggs all cause problems. I'm allergic to the protein in dairy so can have hard cheese and butter. I'd agree with you, Sara, we creative types are prone to such. Am battling an ulcer now which is not fun. Lots of antibiotics now that they know it is bacterial.

We are preparing to go south again, but think it is the last year . Hate to sell the place there when values are down but it is better than renting out of state. Have not been able to find a good property manager or would give it a try. DH is not able to help with the packing, driving or cleaning and I don't need the added stress. Caregiving brings enough of that. Will discuss it when the time is right but think this is the way to go.

Today I'm working on a folk art quilt with wool appliques on flannel. Am putting the rows of blocks together tonight. It is different from my usual. Am enjoying wool and will do more of it. Have packed several Sue Spargo books, wools and threads to try. Even got some silk to use for a background on a table runner. As usual, am taking many more projects than will get done. Nice to have choices.

MaryJo

 
At November 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Actually, this is from Mary Jo who can't connect with Eric to get her name on the list so that she can sign in herself.

We fly alone here, apparently.

Rosey

 
At November 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Where does Mary Jo live?
Sounds like Canada, but not sure. Going "south" must mean she is somewhere "north". That can mean anywhere north of Florida to me.
Sara in fla.

 
At November 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

I have my own theory on why more women or a lot of women as opposed to men suffer from IBS and it is: we are mechanically structured differently to men. The bacteria from one end to the other is more easily transferable and thus, creates a warm place for bacteria to grow and mess things up. That's my story. The reason? I developed a hernia after a hysterectomy which the gyn. dr. said would be more difficult to repair than the hysterectomy had been and since I nearly died under the anesthetic with that one, I don't want to volunteer for another. And from my hernia experience, I know that bacteria travels through intestinal walls, etc. Men's plumbing parts are entirely different and more segregated. Don't know if that makes any sense but it's my theory and I'm sticking with it...lol.
And Sara, I took French in school but I'm old as dirt and remember very little of it. We live in Ontario, the province next to Quebec.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home