Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Y2K quilt.


I have it hanging in the hall and it gives me a lot of pleasure. FRAN.......if you look carefully you will see your square ! Each signature square is surrounded by the fabric sent by that quilter. I placed two fabric squares together, drew a line from corner to corner and stitched either side before cutting on the line. This gave me two squares made up of two triangles. I reduced the size of one until it was the required size and put the other one in a box..(as we do...) This year I have made a quilt top, out of previously rejected blocks, and I have bordered it with those squares.. What a good feeling. They had been in that box since the turn of the century !

Do the maths....80 signature blocks surrounded by 24 different fabrics = 2000 bits of material !! Clever eh ? It wasn't my idea but it worked and I was very pleased with it.

Marion.

5 Comments:

At March 10, 2012 at 1:02 AM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

Found my square, Marion! Very plain compared to some others but I also recognise most of the fabrics I sent you, knowing that they're surrounding my block. The quilt looks great!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

Marion, it's wonderful!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Bee said...

What a great quilt, so cheerful and all the memories.

 
At March 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Marion, just the math alone boggles my mind. I remember in geometry class in Gr. 10, my instructor handing me my exam paper and saying: don't worry Miss Black, you'll get married one day and have babies and you'll never need to know about geometry. Little did he know that I would become a quilter some ten years later. Still get puzzled by figuring out pieced work. I'll go back over your post again and see if I can figure it all out. The quilt is gorgeous. I think sometimes that scrap-pieced quilts are so pretty without a huge amount of colour planning. It is a very attractive quilt, Mario. As to the sailors, the thought of doing something like that and sailing round the world also boggles my mind as to courage and bravery. Enjoy your time up north and I hope your nephew makes second place.
Rosey

 
At March 11, 2012 at 6:22 AM , Blogger Laura in Alabama said...

Lovely! You inspired me to find the pictures of mine!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home