Thursday, July 21, 2011

heat wave

All I can say is . . . ugh. . . and I hope it ends soon. The temperature is bad enough, but the humidity is outrageous. We wake up to 80% to 90% humidity and it goes down to 65% to 70% during the day, if we're lucky. It is 80 degrees in our house, as to run the AC any cooler would cause outrageous electric bills.

Sara in FL - I have no suggestions. I am out playing golf in this stuff twice a week. I drink lots of water and electrolytes on the golf course, and hope to keep my score below the heat index. I am eternally grateful for air-conditioning! I'm concerned for Rosey P., as it is hotter up there than it is down here, and she has no air-conditioning. That's what happens down here in summer.

When DH and I bought and moved into our previous house in 1980, it was during a terrible heat wave (highs over 100F and lows around 80F). The 80 y/o house had no A/C and going to work was our only relief. That was thirty years ago, so we were much younger then, and we managed with lots of fans. I opened windows in the evening, then closed them in the morning and drew all the shades and curtains during the day, to keep the cooler air inside. That house was made of wood clapboard, which really helped it cool down at night, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home