Thursday, July 14, 2011

1987 original design in Canadian Living magazine




The photo on the left is of Dixie Lee, from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada whose aunt Dorothy passed away before she completed this design which appeared in Can. Living Mag. in Jan. 1987. I was never happy with the border designs and when she contacted me three years ago about finishing her aunt's quilt for her cousin, I remade the quilt and redesigned the borders. At the time of the original design being done, Inuit artist, Aoudla Pudlat, gave his permission for the ptarmigan image to be used in the centre of the quilt. He died in a snowmobile accident in 2006 and in redesigning the quilt, I had to find some member of his family in order to gain copyright permission again. His widow, who lives in Baker Lake, received an immediate royalty on the use of his work and for every paper pattern sold on the quilt to the right, she will receive a royalty commission. This site has some of his work: www.artfact.com/artist/pudlat-aoudla, that should get it, if not, add -j2dq80fdvz to the above link.


My bird does not show as well as Kathi's , colour-wise. Even all the training in colour that I did during art college and I can still make a mistake. I had to outline the bird with embroidery thread (chain stitch as I find this lies flat better after being quilted).


Aoudla Pudlat was truly a natural and gifted artist and his death brought to an end this wonderful talent.


Rosey


1 Comments:

At July 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Rosey, your work is amazing. Interesting to read 'the rest of the story'. Thanks for sharing!
Mary in Oregon

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home