Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Where we all live









This morning I was struck by the geographical differences in where we all live, especially on the Chat Board. We come from all over the world. This is a picture of how my 'back lawn' looks (on the right hand side of the page or below the top picture as I'm not sure how it will post), my world here looking out from my studio window. This is my friend, Susan's 'back lawn', so to speak, where she lives near Morro Bay in California, out on ranch compound with several other neighbours. I am constantly struck by the utter drama of her landscape as opposed to my more bucolic one. I wonder, too, that I might feel less settled in her landscape than mine. Mountains are beautiful but somehow a little threatening to me. I feel closed in when driving through the mountains and since I'm not fond of heights, looking down over the edges of roads often makes my knees feel weak....like looking over the edge of Niagara Falls. We are so much a part of our surrounding landscape and yet, how often, we take it for granted. I'm privileged, through medical necessity, to have moved to the country, a place where I longed to be as a child, yet grew up as a city person with many advantages children in the country cannot access. On the other hand, to have reached this in my later years has been nothing short of a life's dream which, in the reality of living it, did not quite match up with my childhood image of country living. The reality of living on the land in the country is that you deal with mother nature quite a bit more directly than you do living in a manicured and manufactured city.




Just my thoughts for today. It's fun to see where others live here on the board. We have a wide representation of geographical areas in the world.



Rosey

1 Comments:

At June 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

I am tryoing to leave a comment to see if it will let me do that. Still won't let me post. Grrr...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home