Thursday, March 24, 2011

More snow too in Southern Ontario

I guess we picked up Minnesota's snow storm. It was a gentle whopper and yes, himself will be getting the snowblower out. He'd already packed away his snowsuit for the winter but it's back upstairs warming up. He has to be covered from head to tow because he comes in looking like a snowman with the blowback of the snow. A little taste of spring and we all go crazy driving the roads, which were very greasy yesterday. It's like letting the calves out in spring...we tend to go a bit wild. There were a number of accidents due to the storm.

Marion, I've forwarded your last post and picture to himself. He will find it very interesting and no doubt feel a bit envious of the flat land, the airstrips and yes, you have a little slice of heaven there. I also thought of you, meeting Russell, a New Zealander, leaving your home in England which surely had a few gentle hills here and there dotted with charming homes, lots of people and you came to a country half-way around the world from your family and home in Britain. What a change of life for you. The Brits were a tough lot. How did you manage without the support of family as a young bride? And, how did you find yourself adjusting to a new country and a new and different way of life.

We, who live in the countryside mostly all reach the point of having to leave the visual and physical space around us and that thought of 'going into town' some embrace with relief, others stubbornly hang on until we drive our kids crazy worrying about us. Then, they throw up their hands and say: we give up. They'd be better off in town but we can't get them out of there'...meaning the country. For me, it will be hard to make the adjustment if or when the time comes and it's creeping up faster than I'd like to admit.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants with a quilt I'm making at the moment. It's the first quilt I've ever made that I only had half a design for before I started. Often I build my quilts like a painting, a bit of a time but this one, based on Gustav Klimt images, is challenging me. I'm down to my last corner design, not even the borders and I actually woke up dreaming about how I was going to sew it. I'm constantly arbitrating visual weight with my shapes and colours. The big surprise is 'will it turn out okay'. I don't know. Perfection is fleeting.

Rosey

2 Comments:

At March 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Tell Jock that there is a house for sale on the airfield ! Shall I send details ?!? Mx.

 
At March 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Marion in NZ - roflol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home