Friday, July 2, 2010

A SAD NOTE

All the posts have been rewarding. Welcome back. By the way, where is Celia P from New Brunswick?

Upon my arrival home from the DGSs' high school graduation I stopped first at the vet's office where my dear friends had taken Shadow the day before. She was almost dead. The same palliative treatment with the addition of IV fluids used a couple of weeks ago had failed to rally her. She didn't even seem to be aware of my presence. After a teary while of stroking her and greeting her loudly in her unresponsive ear Harriet, the vet and neighbor, released her from her suffering. I've been very tearful and spent yesterday afternoon avoiding this dreadfully empty house. The multiple dog beds have been laundered but not given away. I know that I will weaken before too long.

She was so very sweet, gentle and easy to love. That is not to say, however, that she wasn't a master manipulator. If you haven't gone to your book store and gotten the wonderful book, Training People, How to Bring Out the Best in Your Human, by Tess of Helena, do so immediately.

I am about to leave for my Friday morning with the hand quilting group. I've already notified them of my loss via email but I will probably end up in tears again. They are all animal lovers.

Jane in NC

5 Comments:

At July 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Mainequilta said...

Jane so sorry to hear of Shadow's passing. I lost my Millie two years ago. She had canine old age disease (vestibulitis & a suspected spinal tumor), so I can relate to what you have been through. I read a good book "All Pets Go to Heaven", by Sylvia Brown. It helped a lot. Prayers & hugs go out to you in this loss. Martha in Maine

 
At July 2, 2010 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Mainequilta said...

Jane so sorry to hear of Shadow's passing. I lost my Millie two years ago. She had canine old age disease (vestibulitis & a suspected spinal tumor), so I can relate to what you have been through. I read a good book "All Pets Go to Heaven", by Sylvia Brown. It helped a lot. Prayers & hugs go out to you in this loss. Martha in Maine

 
At July 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM , Blogger Laura in Alabama said...

I empathize with your loss. None of my furry babies has been the same as any other, but I miss them all. I'm thinking of you!

 
At July 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

Jane, I know how hard it is to lose a beloved dog. I am very sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the memories and in the fact that you did everything you could to make sure she had a good life.

Jean

 
At July 3, 2010 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

So sorry to hear about Shadow. What a wonderful life she had with you!
Hugz, Mary in Oregon

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home