Friday, March 5, 2010

We are pack animals after all

My step-daughter said the other week..."Oh, you are an extrovert" and I corrected her and said: I'm an introverted extrovert. I need people around me but not ALL the time. I need much down time, which is why the B&B has been such an unexpected bonus in my life...unplanned, when we moved to the country, a serendipitous moment in church one morning when my pew mate said: I have a friend starting a B&B agency, might you be interested? That was 18 yrs. ago.

With my volunteer work with Telecheck, I am speaking to 'seniors' each week. I hear the problems of loneliness that they face and most with great courage and a sense of humour but sometimes we are the only people who call them in a day's time. Older age is a challenge that is predicated only by good health and the ability to remain independent. I recall many years ago, my late father-in-law, who was a builder in the city, building a large home for three widows, each with their own suites and common kitchen and living room. I thought then that it was an excellent solution to growing older and having companionship. Marion, your idea is most sensible and if it could be worked out financially and with guidelines that meet the needs of each individual, I can't think of a better way to support each other as we age. To me, it's a most sensible arrangement.

We are sitting here on ten acres of land which I greet each day, now, with appreciation of the fact that this will not last, as much and all as I wish it could. And yes, I do keep buying lottery tickets...I would be adding a suite for friend, Margaret, in a flash, to bring her up here from the city. It's a dream which only lacks money to fulfill it.

The weather all over the world seems to be a bit out of whack this year. It's March and our winter has been very light so far yet I know that more snow can come and the worst of it often happens after spring is officially here.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home