Saturday, March 6, 2010

ST. PADDY

I think it is an outrage of constitutional proportions that we of Celtic, specifically Irish, descent have been dissed by American quilt designers by ignoring the design of an appropriate holiday pattern. Such ethnic bias is illegal, isn't it? In this age of hyphenation, those of us who are Irish-English-French-German Jewish-Americans should take to the streets. Herumphhh.

Donna, your wall hanging is great. I wonder if you should publish or at least share the pattern you made. The image is probably copyright(ed?). How 'bout sharing your pattern via email with those of us who ask? I need that wall hanging. Gee, then I guess I'll have to have a St. George wall hanging and then Fleur De Lis, and Star of David. I think that covers it all.

I had a wonderful English teacher in 10th grade by the name of Matthew Murphy his first year at the school. We had a counselor by the name of MacDougall who traditionally decorated her office in lots of orange every March 17 when everyone else, even the numerous Jews and Blacks (oops African-Americans) cheerfully wore green. Someone told Murphy about this woman's annual joke so he turned up after school and took down all her orange stuff and decorated with paper shamrocks, leprechauns etc. She showed her true "colors" when she arrived at work on the 17th, tore down his handy work and swore the prankster would be suspended. We all realized that she had committed the teen age sin of not having a sense of humor. I'm not sure she ever gave Murphy the time of day after finding out that he was the culprit. The student body was highly amused. I love teenagers.

Now I am having a stream of consciousness. Before my public defender days I worked in a small law firm of which two of the partners were grads of Ohio State University. I, being a graduate of University of Michigan, was inspired
before the MI vs OSU football game. DH and I bought the appropriate blue and maize construction paper and paper streamers. Under cover of darkness we decorated the office of the partner who had a sense of humor (the other one wasn't crabby; he just didn't get jokes) and decorated it elaborately with M logos, streamers, Go Wolverines etc. The next morning the victim appeared in my office and threw a pink slip, one of those telephone message papers, on my desk that said on the back, "Your fired!" After lunch he summoned me to his office. He had gone home at lunch time and brought in a little kids' old fashioned victrola and told me to stand at attention forcing me to listen respectfully to the OSU fight song played by the university marching band back in his undergrad days. Everyone laughed except for the stuffed shirt. Very few billable hours were racked up that day.

All this memory stuff is a sign of old age I guess. Have happy memories today.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home