Tuesday, January 26, 2010

DB & JUST STUFF

Sara, my brother is doing remarkably well according to the conversation I had with him Sunday. He’s now staying with a friend who was my reporter during his hospitalization. He insists I not come out there so I’m backing off my usual co-dependent care taking urge. He expects to go home in a few days but will still be dependant on others for shopping, driving etc. but he insists he has more offers of help than he can use. Who am I to argue? I even went out to get not only the seasonal flu shot I get every year but had the H1N1 shot even though I’m very low risk for that just in case I did go out there. I’m sure his immune system is still compromised.

Been playing with the Janome 6600 and having a fair number of messes but re-reading the directions usually brings me back to a good result. Have made about half a dozen blocks for DD’s wedding quilt. I’m buried in pricey batiks in greens and purples but find myself in need of some more of the appropriate values. I should never have started out with separate green and purple blocks. There are some gorgeous combinations of those colors and should have just proceeded from the outset with one combo dark, another medium and a light. The whole thing would be unified and placing the finished blocks much simpler. I’ve even thought about starting over. However I have near thirty blocks already done. I have acquired some gorgeous combination fabrics in a second round of buying in three yard lengths and will start using them instead of struggling with the darn strips already cut. Those jelly roll type collections included a lot of stuff I felt inappropriate for my purposes. Now that I’ve thought “out loud” so to speak right here that’s what I’ll do from this point on. When I am finished using them I’ll decide whether to proceed with additional purchases. What the heck; I’m going for broke lately anyway.

Weather here is strange. It can get near 60*F one day and two days later it is snowing and temp in the teens. The creeks and rivers are near flood level now that the ice has finished melting. After the terrible drought of the past five years in which springs and wells have dried up it is raining almost every day it isn’t snowing. Since I’m dependant on a well I’m happy to have it but enough is enough. I guess my light gathering ability ain’t what it yusta be because sewing in the daytime is not comfortable on the many dreary dark days we’ve been having.

Well, have a trip to Asheville tomorrow morning for what I assume will be the last visit with the hand surgeon. I’d best get moving toward bed via cleaning up the kitchen. Wouldn’t you know it is supposed to be beautiful tomorrow. Shadow and I haven’t had a good trek in days but I did get to the gym today and felt much better for it. Been putting it off too much lately. I’ve resolved to start getting up at 6 AM as I did for years even after I retired and get myself a high protein breakfast to avoid the blood sugar crash and head for the gym first thing. They open at 6. Then I’ll not be so tempted to eat out afterward as I often do for lunch. That’s why I’m getting almost nowhere on that five pound challenge. It goes down a couple of pounds then pops right back up.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home