Wednesday, January 20, 2010

HAITI DONATIONS

In my experience as a public defender lawyer I was always looking for alternatives to incarceration for my many druggies, alcoholics and the otherwise broken down which made up a large portion of my practice. You can't beat the Salvation Army. Their overhead is extremely low as their personnel are all dedicated to the cause. It is almost a monastic organization and many are married couples. They make a minimal living and are dedicated for the long haul. While I am not a Christian I think those folks really walk the walk with their lives. Also they are very experienced at this kind of thing and performed admirably after Katrina and throughout war times. If they are involved in Haiti which I assume they are, they will get my Haiti money.

A side note. My brother, who lived in Japan for 7 or 8 years in the late fifties and early sixties, became acquainted with a Canadian Dominican priest who had been interned in China for years during WWII along with other missionaries. They suffered great deprivation and near starvation and he said that the strongest most steadfast of all were the Salvation Army folks, the depth of whose faith he envied. I sound like an evangelist but I'm agnostic to the core. But if you are going to talk the talk they get it.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home