Sunday, October 18, 2009

AT LAST

The sun reappeared today. I'd begun to wonder if some evil demon had extinguished it. Shadow and I had a nice hike straight uphill next to house and then down again. The hip pain is gone except for the usual muscle weakness complaint. I intend to do more of that now that I have my new hiking boots; a mere $94 at the discount shoe store. I got some really nice wool thick socks from LL Bean so I'm all set. I just checked the indoor/outdoor thermometer and it is 36.9 degrees and dropping. The weather guessers have been predicting frost and possible snow flurries several days and it hasn't happened yet but might in view of the 10 PM temperature.

You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned Rufus. I threw up my hands over a week ago. I just don't have the physical strength, speed and agility it would take to teach him manners. I even spent $100 for a shock collar and then decided I couldn't/shouldn't use it. When I got so frustrated I considered kicking him I realized he just wasn't the dog for me. He was getting more obnoxious daily and he knew he had me at a disadvantage and he was taunting me. When I'd reach for him to give him the old mommy dog grab by the loose skin on the neck he was out of reach and he knew the exact range of the water pistol so if I resorted to chasing him he'd won and I was doing his bidding. Thus he was encouraged to continue and even intensify the destructive behavior. He went to the shelter but at least his weight was normal, the ear infection cleared up along with the flea infestation, had been checked for internal parasites and had a rabies shot. The certificate proving the latter was delivered to the shelter along with him. The volunteer dog rehab and fostering organization was full.

Sondra and Bob Horn are in the area for his HS reunion in Hendersonville south of Asheville. He has some extended family in Franklin where my quilt guild meets. The ladies with whom I hand quilt on Friday also meet on Monday morning but I don't normally participate then. However, Sondra and Bob are coming to Franklin to visit family and they are going to meet me at the "quilt room" which is the Shriners' building where those kind folks allow us to keep two large frames for quilting tops for hire. We will be basting next year's raffle quilt (proceeds all go to scholarships for local kids). I'll take some pictures. At noon we are all repairing to Fat Buddies to have the worlds best BBQ for lunch. We are all looking forward to lunching with my cyber quilt friend. I told Sondra that if Bob doesn't want to be surrounded by a bunch of old women Lowe's is nearby. She says he's used to it and is a good sport. I might bring Shadow so Sondra and Bob, who are both real dog people, can meet her. I took her with me Friday as it was reasonably chilly and I didn't have concerns about leaving her in the car. The ladies all fussed at me when after I introduced her to them then turned to take her back to the car. She spent the morning being being fussed over by the ladies. She is a sweet girl.

If it does snow I won't be able to go down my driveway. Someone suggested I get some all terrain tires for winter and that's what I'll do. This Prius is very prone to skids even without snow or ice. Some people have dirt driveways. I keep mine graveled at considerable expense but at least it provides resistance to erosion and traction going up and down.

That's about it for now.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home