Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday in Sunny MN

I haven't checked in for a while either - we have had a busy couple of weeks. Commencement was Friday night the 22nd, and our exchange student's parents and Grandmother were here from Denmark. They left early this morning (they were staying at a hotel in town). Both of my sisters, one niece, my mom and one BIL were here to help get ready for the grad. party that we had on Sunday afternoon (there were staying here). Early last week was spent getting the house and yard ready, Friday we started on food. We had a potini bar - martini glasses, mashed potatoes with cream cheese & sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, salsa and a chive plant from which to cut fresh chives, my mom's homemade French bread with meats & cheeses, cheesecake balls, choc. truffles, fruit salad... We have a lot of yard which I thought was lookin' pretty good - Gary decided last week that we should mulch several of the beds so 90 bags of chips and 30 bags of mulch later it looks wonderful. Oh, and two weeks ago he decided he wanted to put a pergola in the front yard in one of the flower beds. He really pulled a Tom Sawyer this time - my sister and my 82-year old mother were priming some of the boards for the roof! Anne's dad from Denmark and a couple of our friends volunteered? to help with the actual construction, Anne's grandma and I added a few more plants.... If the girls can show me how to add pictures, I will post one or two if anyone is interested- The last day of school is tomorrow, church choir is done until September and unofficially Summer has arrived - Hope everyone is starting off on a great Summer season... Joleen in MN

3 Comments:

At May 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Please post some pictures. I want a pergola for my back yard. We had paver stones put down in a 12 x 10 foot space last year, with plants all around. It needs a pergola over it! I need ideas and inspiration.
Sara in soggy Fla.

 
At May 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

My military son says it isn't volunteering....it's being "voluntold". vbg

We love our pergola. It's over the fire pit and has trumpet vines crawling up the posts. Great big orange flowers later on in the summer. We didn't pave under it, however, just put a huge flat piece of sandstone under the fire pit and left grass under the chairs.

Kathi

 
At May 28, 2009 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

I had to get out the trusty old dictionary to find out what a pergola is. Now that I know, it sounds lovely. Once the vines are grown over the top it should create a peaceful shady spot in which to read or do some hand quilting.

Jane in still wet NC, 9.5" of rain for the month of May so far.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home