Saturday, April 4, 2009

SPRING TIME IN THE SMOKIES

It's in the mid 70's, mostly clear with some fluffy high clouds with a mild breeze that makes my wind chimes tinkle. I've seen so far, mostly along side my .4 mile driveway, purple violets, cut leaved tooth wort, starry campion and DD told me two weeks ago when she was here that on a hike a bit too vigorous for me, she spied larkspur foliage is out and my favorite of all, blood root were in bloom. Don't get me wrong, it was 32F when I got up this AM but that was quite a few hours ago. The grass is green and was in serious need of mowing last week until my trusty neighborhood mower showed up on Thursday after his day job.


I've had the best week in over a year. No more prescription pain killers. That's not to say there is no more pain it's just that it's fairly well controlled with Excedrin which combines aspirin, acetaminophen and some caffeine which is something of a catalyst for the other two. I've been to the gym and done things I couldn't begin to do a month ago and I'm hiking down the long steep driveway for my mail with Shadow when weather permits. It's the return trip uphill that challenges me. Before the accident it was a piece of cake for me. I'm still reluctant to try the very rough old logging roads on my property as my ankle isn't very strong and my kness would object to the trip back down the hill. There is to be a bone scan next week to determine if the prosthesis in either knee has been damaged by all the twisting while I was wheel chair bound last spring and this fall. I want it fixed so much but I want so much to be through with surgery.


On a much happier note, last weekend I attended a quilting retreat I'd never heard of before this year which has been happening for 18 years. It's at a Methodist conference center which is a bit more comfortable than the Georgia Baptist Center where I've been attending a retreat for quite a few years. The latter offers classes and space to work on your own thing. The March retreat is entirely made up of doing one's own thing. The only vendors are a few individuals who are also participants in the retreat. A good time was had by everyone as far as I know. The attendance was down from their usual crowd no doubt due to current financial conditions so there was lots of room. I spread out and worked on DD#2's wedding quilt. I realize now that I'm just beginning to buy fabric for this effort. I had some consternation about moving smoothly from one color (green) to the other (purple). As so often happens at these affairs I got some very helpful input from the ladies in my room. I had a pot luck roommate who was, as has always been the case of pot luck roommates, an extremely good roommate. She has more stamina than I, sewing until 10 or 10:30 after dinner. 86 years old and going with great vigor both mentally and physically. A great role model.


By the way, the Methodists are much better cooks than the Baptists. Everything was under one roof in a hotel, one of several one the property, so we didn't have to venture out unless one likes chilly, dark, rainy weather.


I wish everyone a lovely spring except for the DUGS and a lovely autumn to them. Also hugs to everyone who is in need and those lucky ones who aren't.


Jane in NC


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home