Monday, January 19, 2009

WINTER IN THE MOUNTAINS

NC was certainly part of the confederacy and still considers itself deep south which it is geographically and culturally true in many respects, here in the west we get some but not much winter storms. Trouble is the various governing agencies have neither clue nor the equipment to deal with 2 inches of snow and ice. Worse yet, the drivers are totally incompetent in wintry weather. Consequently yesterdays 1” of very wet snow which was mostly gone by noon caused every church in the county to cancel services. If it were not for MLK day today, the schools would be closed. We have had a few nights with a low of 7*F (-14*C) and there was probably some real suffering among old folks living in ancestral homes with no central heat. Many have wood stoves however but ol’ Granny’s log splitting days are over. The Dept. Aging has a firewood program and many churches do too. This morning however snow is predicted for the whole day today and to get to the hand surgeon appointment in Asheville my neighbor and I would have to go over a pass that’s probably close to 5000’ in elevation and that means serious ice if there was any melting up there last night. I’m sure I won’t be the only one canceling today.

I actually decided yesterday that if I put off sewing until after I have the mess under control I will never sew another stitch so I spent a bit of time yesterday working on the baby quilt for a baby born 8 months ago. Now I can’t find the fabric I’m using for sashing. Well, I’ll start the archeological dig again this morning and either find it or rip out what I’ve already done or, this just came to me, use a different color to add “interest” to the design which is very plain. Good idea Jane. Get busy on it right now.

A footnote to Marti: I have another surgery on the hand and one on the knee to repair the damage done to that joint incurred from the months of being in the wheel chair and having to pivot on the brand new replacement (last January). I hope to say on the anniversary of the big splash on 3/11 that it is finally all over.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home