Wednesday, January 21, 2009

RTC

Jill, there was a time when I made an annual pilgrimage to RTC. That began when I discovered that my daughter's home in Glendora is within an easy drive so I combined trips. I always came home with another UFO and a load of new fabric. I found that the types of fabric tend to vary from one part of the country to another and I love those Asian prints. I have yet to make anything with it but it's still in the pipe line. I had a very difficult run in with the lady who runs the show and I haven't been back since. She later apologized but it's still very hard for me to set it aside. In case anyone is curious, it was in 2003. I had brought the memorial quilt I made while Al was dying which I didn't get finished until several months after he died. It is full of photo transfers of him and his hunting pals both two legged and four legged. One of them was a picture of him at the age of ten showing off the bullfrog he'd shot in his grandfather's cow pond with a .22 .He had specially prepared frogs legs for dinner that evening. On the back I'd made some blocks with some wonderful Makower spaniel fabric. It still hangs in my hallway. During that show and tell at RTC a quilt was introduced by her as one that had been juried into the show. It was made by the quilter commissioned by a friend whose husband had died and she wanted quilts made of his shirts for the children. It was understandably a very emotional incident and there was hardly a dry eye in the house. A few quilts later I mounted the little stage with the hunting quilt. As I explained the origin she interrupted with "Is that your new husband?" I was dumbfounded and said "Huh?" She then pointed to the back of the quilt and one of the spaniel blocks and asked if that was my new hairy husband. I left in tears and I'm still mystified. I couldn't sleep that night and finally wrote her a nasty gram which I delivered to one of her minions the next day. I got a note some weeks later claiming she certainly didn't mean to hurt me. The following year I was told by Judy in Arizona who used to be active on the BB, that she made a public statement to the effect that she wanted to break up the somber mood. Yeah, right. Belittling a widow's grief will work every time.

I'm making slow progress on the very simple baby quilt and plan to get in there in the next few minutes. The light is great today. It was 8*F when I got up this AM. Ankle hurts like fury and had to resort to serious pain pill for the first time in quite a while. Temps will stay in low 30s today. Home health PT just left after putting me through my exercises. She said the road leading out to my home was rather like a skating rink. Salt trucks usually get out here a lot sooner than this.

Good day to you all both northern and southern hemispheres.
Jane in frigid mountains of beautiful NC

1 Comments:

At January 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

Jane, that's awful. Sometimes people just have no sense.
Is that the lady who's picture adorns the front page of their web site? That may say quite a bit right there.
Memory quilts will always be my favorite. The story quilts like Mary Lou Weidman teaches make quilts our own & so special. Have you ever heard Elli Seinkievich(sp) speak? She tells these wonderful stories of the meaning behind the symbols in the Baltimore album quilts. It just brings life to these quilts that I once just thought represented ladies with too much time on their hands!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home