Saturday, November 22, 2008

Getting there

I feel like I'm slowly returning to the land of the living, two and a half weeks after my rotator cuff surgery. I'm still not able to lift that arm or use that hand, and I am still in a sling, but at least I'm off the heavy-duty pain meds and I can function somewhat again. It is so nice to at least feel pretty normal again, even if it is one-armed! Whew! I do not like being fuzzy brained. I'd rather have a little more pain and be able to think clearly.

I've had two sessions of physical therapy and already the therapist is thrilled with how much more range of motion she was able to get from my arm the second time than the first. Now granted, these are very slight motions and she is doing all the work, not my arm, but compared to how stiff and painful it was at first, this is very encouraging. I guess the shoulder is healing well and doing everything it is supposed to do, so that's great news. I'm just really looking forward to the day that my shoulder doesn't hurt anymore!!! I'm told that should be in a couple more weeks. I can do this, I can do this. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. (Hey if it worked for the Little Engine That Could, it can work for me, right? Besides, the worst is over.)

I have gotten two of the embroidered blocks done so far that I mentioned for the pieced and embroidered quilt that I've wanted to do forever. Appropriately enough, it's called "Thank you, Lord", and each block thanks God for something. The block that I'm just finishing says, "Dear Lord, will I still get to quilt in heaven? Please. Thank you, Lord. Amen." It's a really cute quilt from a book called Hope and Cheer from Hopskotch Quilting Co. by Peggy Waltman. The author suffers from an autoimmune disease and quilting has been her creative outlet. Really neat quilt.

Oh, and today is a big day also in that I actually slept two four hour stretches last night for the first time since the surgery. Yay! It's really hard to sleep with this shoulder hurting, you have to be on your back, and after lying motionless for a while the dang thing hurts like the dickens and wakes you up. But two four hour stretches sure beats the hour-long stretches I was getting before waking up. If I can keep getting a decent enough sleep like that, I'm sure I'll feel and heal much better. Onward and upward!

Doris, your wedding quilt is stunning. I can hardly wait till I can get back to sewing again. There sure are a lot of things you can't really do with only one hand! I'm really going to enjoy myself when I can get back in my sewing room. Meanwhile, the washer has buzzed, so it's time to load the dryer. That I can do.

Jean in VT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home