Thursday, September 25, 2008

B&B Guests

Doris, not a word from them though they promised to let me know...so, I may yet hear. Traveling with dogs in the heat that they were going into heading into Florida coupled with a gas shortage, I wouldn't start out myself. I have guests overnight, their lives enter mine, then pass through and out, sometimes never to be seen again. I still have one full to the brim small suitcase that a rider left here last May. I've connected with her once...oh yes, she said, I forgot all about that. Many emails later and they are now returned to my inbox. The suitcase has gone to the basement and if I don't hear from her by next spring, the contents will go out in the garbage. Last week's rider left her riding boots, haven't heard from her either but then the farrier created lameness in her horse so they may have their minds on other things. The one item that I won't return and won't mention are the men's pyjama bottoms that I found in the queen sized bed. Thought he might have been a bit embarassed about that one.

Wit's End Horse Trials are on again and I'm involved everyday until Sunday night. The funding has been tight this year because of the stock market; the entries on the higher levels affected by the fact that this is an Olympic year...horses are tired and people don't need the points they'd gain by competing here. We all hope this wonderful event will survive the tight financial times as it's very expensive to put on. Tons of yellow and orange mums around the grounds beside jumps, in our hospitality tent, which I'm assisting in, everywhere is a bower of brightly coloured mum plants. Dressage was held today and Darren Chiachia, who had a serious accident at Red Hills in Fla. earlier this spring, was in the ring today. What a beautiful rider and after nearly being killed, he's back on a horse again. Sat. is cross-country and I'm out on the course as a jump judge, which means that I call in any refusals, falls, etc. and I'm hoping that I don't pull a dangerous jump. I could cope with a rider coming off; I couldn't cope with seeing a horse fall. There is a horse ambulance provided by the Mass. Humane Society and there are facilities here at several vet clinics to operate on large animals if needed. Three day eventing is a dangerous sport, no doubt about it. In my next life...will I have time to become a champion rider and figure skater?

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home