Thursday, July 3, 2008

Gore-Tex type rain jackets

SARA in FLA - Gore-Tex and similar fabrics are waterproof and "breathable." Well, based on my experience the 'breathable' means it is not as hot & sweaty to wear as the PVC coated fabric type "slickers" we wore as children. Once the copyright ran out on "goretex" other manufacturers were free to make their own versions. Ultrex is one brand I can think of.

You do not need a down jacket for Ireland. It won't be that cold in September. You will want a lightweight *waterproof* type jacket or raincoat, depending on how much time you will spend outdoors. We do a lot of golf courses and outdoor sightseeing that frequently involves trekking through fields, visiting ruins with little shelter. My most memorable "trek" was a mile long through a sheep field in Scotland, in 2005. We dodged sheep "biscuits" everywhere(!!!) and the odor that accompanied their offerings was awful and I was gagging. LOL All to go see some wonderful ancient standing stones. That's why I always have waterproof hiking/walking shoes as well. My last pair was not gore-tex lined, so I treated the leather with NIKWAX, which I purchased from REI that waterpoofs the leather for us. It seemed to work very well. NIKWAX also has a product that will waterproof fabric outerwear. If you have an old raincoat, you could possibly treat it with this product. I wash my GoreTex jacket in it, to give it the extra treatment.

I can't be bothered with an umbrella and carrying one on the plane or packing one would be a real bother. I do often pack a little fold-up one and toss it in the suitcase, but rarely use it. Hence, the gore-tex jacket. I got mine on sale at REI, years ago, and REI is having a big summer sale right now www.rei.com where you can pick up a good rain jacket for a good price.

You'll be alright with a normal raincoat if more of your sightseeing will be the indoor variety. I would suggest bringing one very lightweight sweater. Either a thin merino wool (my favorite) or a cotton sweater. Dressing in layers is best.

If you are very lucky, you will have warm, dry weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home