Wednesday, October 3, 2007

AUTUMN ETC.

I too, am a fan of autumn. I also like all four seasons, especially after living in FL for 27 years. It's always a marvel to me when the seasons are rolling one into the next. Thank goodness it is finally cooling off. The heat this summer has been the worst since I've lived here (15 years). The winters have been a bit mild for me the past two or three years. I don't do well in very cold environments (Raynaud's disease) but I do like the occasional heavy snow and three or four days of cold serious enough to produce an accumulation of snow in Caney Fork Creek which is quite a fast moving creek. It is so beautiful with the ice in the creek and snow on the every greens. However, after a couple of weeks of that I'm satisfied. Having the monster expensive generator and gas heat makes me a lot more complacent as a heavy snowfall here in the woods causes power failures so numerous that it can be the better part of a week before everyone is back on line. In my part of the country it seems to me that fall and spring, the two best seasons, predominate rather than winter and summer. I'm not speaking technically of course. In Ann Arbor in southeastern MI spring might be around for a few weeks and suddenly it would be summer. Same with autumn. At least that's the psychology of it.

We are not getting any color this year as the drought continues. There is terrible fire risk and the leaves are just turning brown for the most part. However, we've had some gorgeous clear pleasant days after the last few months at high 90s. That is very much atypical. Now that I've said I like winter watch me have to eat my words. One of the nice things about winter, which was once the nice thing about summer in FL was that the population drops by half or more. That's no longer true so much there. The traffic is congested even in little old Sylva and I hate it. There are subdivisions going up all over the place here. Darn it, Al and I kept trying to find the best place to live and thought we had done that in '66 when we arrived in Clearwater, but the subsequent population density drove us out. In '85 when we bought vacation land here we thought so then too.

DORIS, have you tried allergy shots? I started in about June and so far this has been the nicest autumn I've had in years in terms of breathng. That's always been my worst allergy time although I have some problems year round. Dust mites are with us year round. But I'm sensitive to numerous things that grow so that's a seasonal problem. I'm very pleased. Haven't had a sinus infection since I started the shots. Going to and from the doc's office is a pain as it's a 35 or 40 minute drive from home but I'm in and out of there in 15-20 minutes.

Still can't seem to get to the boys' quilts dammit. I ordered a 6x6 block butler to use for that purpose and the first one was defective in that I couldn't get the plastic cover that keeps the tacky part from sticking to itself while handling or packing it, off of the darn thing. When I called they said that they'd become aware of the defect after they'd sent it and they would send another. Spent another several hours getting the new one up and it is now falling off the wall. I have a 4x6 one that works fine but that was a replacement of the original which was also defective and wouldn't stick to the wall. I wanted the big one for the bed sized quilts as they are scrappy and I want the lights and darks distributed in a balanced way but I can't wait forever. I have a lot of seam allowance to cut for these rag quilts. I cut the 6x6 block butler into four 3x3s so I could use just a small one for small projects and all together for the biggest ones. It's also much easier to handle that way. Rats, another phone call and wait for another replacement or a credit.

Time for bed. Weight Watchers tomorrow and I think I screwed up for the second week in a row.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home