Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Slow Speed Posting

Jane, this is what holds me back from posting as I often don't have the time to wait the few minutes it takes to download my entry being on slow speed service here in the country. However, the new system works and I don't know how Sue and Eric had the patience to put up with the public site for as long as they did. This is so much better but it does slow the process of an instant response down.

You've described the 'other side' of mental illness very well and you've made the only decision that you could for yourself. Your friend's husband will have a special place prepared for him 'in heaven', that's for sure. And also, as you say, your friend would not have asked for this illness any more than her family and friends would ask to live with it and support her in it. There comes a time with mental illness when the family (and friends) need to protect themselves and preserve their own sanity and energy, otherwise, they are of no help to the mentally ill person. Detaching is, when it's a loved one, very hard to do. Speaking from experience, I can say that I tried very hard to be there for the person in my life who suffered from mental illness but, like you, Jane, I had to cut out emotionally over time or I would have gone over the edge myself. It's why people who suffer from mental illness end up living alone. They can drain their families and drain their friends emotionally and unbelievably if you haven't been there yourself. It's more a tragedy for those trying to support the person with the illness than for them, I believe, for the sufferer is often unaware of the extent of their illness and are, by then, in a world of their own. Mental illness makes for self-centeredness as well. The illness becomes them in the end; it's hard to separate the two. Your friend now needs professional support and care. The family needs to preserve their own selves now, including you, Jane, as a good friend to the woman, as I know you've been.

The wind came up over night and I've awoken to fresh breezes coming through the open windows but they also feel like they are carrying rain. The weatherman says not until tonight but I can feel the moisture in the air. Our grass has now turned green, thankfully but we need so much more rain than we've had that our water tables will be very low and we all live on wells here in the country.

Tomorrow begins the on-site preparations for the Wit's End Horse Trials and will involve my energy until Sunday, along with B&B guests here for the event, plus friend Margaret, whom some of you met while here at the retreat. She is coming up from the city to volunteer as well. The weather promises to be good. And Bo Derek is expected at the event over the week-end. When I mentioned this to minister friend, Penny, she said: oh, is that the name of a horse? Imagine that...well, she said, sometimes people name their horses after famous people. My guess is that Ms. Derek might find that hilarious given how beautiful she is. I'm not likely to see her as I'm out on the cross country course the day she is expected, otherwise, I'm working in the hospitality tent, where she is expected...too bad. Googling her, she is still a very beautiful woman. (I won't stand beside her if I meet her...lol...the grey hair, sagging boobs and fluffy waistline show a definite decline with age).

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home