Sunday, September 9, 2007

Peeking out of the burrow...

Well ladies it's been awhile! Fortunately, I have been very busy tutoring for the last 10 weeks or so, much busier than I had ever anticipated!! There have been days when I worked 6 or 7 hrs doing classes! This was good, as the bank balance is happy...but it did get tiring along about August. I only had one unpleasant student, and though she griped sometimes about my "getting off the subject!" she kept coming...so it can't have been that bad. (I was told by a classmate that she even complains about and to her full professors...never a wise thing to do in this particular city, as the professors think they are gods unto themselves.)
I've been bemoaning my weariness for the last month or so and in the last couple of weeks it's gotten markedly worse. (I think the low thyroid has something to do with it, too). Last Sunday afternoon I decided I HAD to wash some laundry, but...I had a suprise student turn up for a last-minute cram session. She had her test the next day, and she's panicking, and she's a good friend, so I said, "OK come over," knowing I would have to just sit and hold her hand for an hour.Which I did.When she left I quickly stripped the bed and crammed a load of sheets in the washer along with a few other bits and pieces, and cleaned the kitchen, comforting myself with the thought of a day OFF on Labour Day while everyone does their make up exams.About half an hour later I glance at the washer, which is a front-loader...and what do I see through the porthole but an ISBN number!!I had washed my copy of The Colour Purple!!It was going round and round among the sheets, saying, "Help me, help me!"So...I turn off the washer, wait the regulation 3 min for the saftey catch to open (cursing all the while) and finally fish it out.Not so much a novel any more, more a sponge.I'll have to go down to the English bookshop and see how much they're going to "soak" me for a new copy, if indeed I can still get it.But....I won't be able to read it lying in bed tomorrow, will I. Note to self: Check DH's pockets for change, and the bedsheets for novels!

The joys of a bilingual marriage. When I tried to tell DH WHY I was lying on my back in the utility space, alternately giggling and cursing my idiocy, by saying "I washed my copy of The Colour Purple!" he said, and goodness knows I quote: "Well, you could bleach the sheets I guess..." Same guy who thought that "cervical cancer" was a disease that attacked the neck vertebrae...but he couldn't understand why only women get it... (Well, I laugh, but I don't really mock--not since I tried to buy a cabinet with four drawers in it, and mistook the word "cajón" (drawer) for "cojon"--which I believe needs no translation! The salesman got the giggles and retreated, sending someone else to wait on me!)

So anyway, this is me apologising for not talking to any of my quilty friends for three months. Sarah in FL, Ginny and Silvia among others. It's taken me about 10 days to really feel rested. And since I had to speak this morning...but it gets easier every time. (Not easier to write the speech, but easier to give it.)

I haven't quilted a stitch in all this time; haven't even picked up a needle. I won't be posting flyers again till the end of the month, as this house is a bomb site. It's a dern good thing DH was around home to take up the slack! He has been an angel, helping me with cooking, cleaning and shopping without a murmur. He's had a couple of culinary disasters, but haven't we all, when we were starting out! I just remember the first few meals I prepared here--I was an experienced cook *in the States* but everything was so different here, and Spanish tastes don't run to say, cream of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch! ;)

The AC certainly has been a godsend, tho we tried to be wise using it. The electric bill wasn't too awful bad, about $60 for 2 mos. But I've even allowed my hair to grow some, because I can sleep without feeling like The Lady in the Water or something. LOL
Looks like the year is finally getting the turn, for 2 days we haven't used the air except at night (it keeps the mosquitos at bay).
Roll on, sweet gentle October, roll on!

I miss having the recipe page and the prayer page. I found a good carrot pudding recipe and would love to share...but nowhere to post it. Sigh.
Hugs to all
anna in spain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home