Thursday, September 6, 2007

checking in

I'm back to work after the summer off. I've been reading the Chat whenever I can but haven't had time to post. I spent a lot of time with my grandkids, bought a house in the city where my daughters live (won't be moving for a few years yet, though), and hosted a 60th birthday celebration for DH at our camp on the Labour Day weekend. Not much time for quilting and not many nights sleeping in my own bed at home. I really enjoyed the summer, but it's good to be back to a regular routine.
I was just thinking fondly the other day of the Michigan quilt retreat we had a couple (few?) years ago, wondering how everyone is doing. That was so much fun.
I want to tell you about the birthday bash. My oldest DD decided that we should have some entertainment for the occasion, so some of the family and friends chipped in to hire a band. The Wild Turkeys are 5 very young, very talented musicians who play old time/bluegrass music. What a great time we had. We cleared out a woodshed attached to our storage shed for a stage and the audience sat in lawn chairs. We really lucked out on the weather. They brought lights, amps and a generator. The audience really got into it, playing spoons, clapping and dancing (some of my serving spoons will never be the same!). I cooked for a week ahead and managed to feed 25 people all weekend and 45 on Sunday with no electricity, running water or decent counter space. Thank goodness for propane and coolers. DH enjoyed it to the max. It was a great end to the summer, and some of the younger family members are talking about making it an annual event. I'm still too tired to get excited about that idea!!
That, and our "new" house were the high points of my summer. I also managed to see my sister 3 times in a month; usually we only manage a couple of times a year. That was great.
Well, enough rambling. Hope you are all having happy Septembers with lots of quilty fun.
Brenda in Nn Ontario

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home