Thursday, September 6, 2007

catching up

We've been back in school for almost a month now, and things were settling down. However, Tennessee has decided to add a "fitness" program to the public schools. Every school child must receive 90 minutes per week of physical activity, regardless of the courses he is taking. Now remember, I teach high school. We are going to start walking 18 minutes a day, starting Monday. Every student and every teacher in the building will be walking at the same time...all 1200 of us. It'll all work out, and be good for us eventually, but next week may be a bit stressfull. (big grin) Most of the kids seem to be at least willing to go along with the changes in the schedule. We'll see how long that lasts. We've stolen a few minutes here and there, and shortened their "break", but we've reduced the number of kids getting the break at any given time. It should actually work better when we get the kinks out.
I'm still losing inches; I have no clue how many pounds I've lost, but I'm down two sizes from when I started in July '06. There is an incentive at school; the teacher or staff person who loses the largest percentage of his weight will receive $1000 in December. Only about 8 of us registered, but several of the others are very large, so I don't know if I even have a chance, as I'm only looking to lose another 35-40 pounds. I'm into clothes that are only 1-2 sizes larger than I wore at my ideal weight (at 25)! Does anyone know if they're making the clothes larger these days? I've lost another 5 lbs since I weighed at the start of the competition.
I think I have enough blocks made for my mother's quilt; now I need to actually start setting them together.
Heritage Quilters of Huntsville is hosting a quilt show on October 19-21 at the WVB Civic Center. We have a very large guild, and quite a few of us (not including me!) are professionals. It will be a great show if any of you are close enough to come.

2 Comments:

At September 7, 2007 at 3:49 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Laura - I'm glad to see the schools are making the kids exercise. The local news in Nashville reported, a couple weeks ago, that Tennessee ranks as the #5 most obese state and the majority of that overweight population was children.

Does anyone remember JFK's fitness program in the schools back in the 1960s?

 
At September 7, 2007 at 3:55 PM , Blogger anna in spain said...

Laura, in fact at least here in Europe, sizes are getting smaller! The size 14 of 20 yrs ago is now labelled size 22 (or metric equivalent). In spite of the yelling about stick-insect models and "00" sizes, the sizes continue to get smaller--even shoes. I have always worn a metric 36 or 37 and now all of a sudden I'm buying shoes labelled 39 or 40. Wild.

Good for you on the loss!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home