Saturday, June 9, 2007

Muffin Recipe

1 1/2 c. ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 granulated sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup marmalade
2 egss
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1/4 cup coconut (I use unsweetened)
1/2 cup chopped dates
Bake 350 degrees for 25/30 minutes

This also can be used as a bread and baked in a loaf pan. I often double the recipe, Kathi.

Pat, I know that you speak with kindness in your heart and I know also that the other end of having animals 'dropped off' may cause problems for someone else, but I ask you this: is it better to relocate an animal that is causing problems than to shoot it?

We have three Australian Shepherds here who could possibly pick up Leptosporosis from raccoon urine. Aussies have an MD1 deficiency, please don't ask me to explain that other than giving you a reference to the Aussie L board. It means that Aussies do not always survive the Lepto serum shots as has happened to several close calls amongst my Aussie breeder friends. When an animal such as a raccoon starts coming out during the daytime and eating beneath my bird feeder, my concern is for my dogs, not for the wild animal. That said, where they are dropped off is in an area that is a woodland but knowing the raccoons penchant for visiting human habitats, they will make their way easily to the nearest source of 'food', some human habitat in all likelihood.

Living in the country is not like living in an urban area. I've done both and had raccoons in both places, once inside my city home, at the end of my son's bed, having come in through a soffit that was not closed in properly due to construction at the time. I am aware that, although I am against the use of guns, country home owners sometimes do have a need to shoot animals on their properties. A gentleman who lives several sideroads north of us shares my feelings about guns but has one because porcupines were eating the cables on his machinery on his property as well as his car.

It's a delicate balance between nature and humans in the country but moving them elsewhere is the most humane way that we can deal with it, at the moment.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home