Wednesday, June 6, 2007

more travelogue stuff

If you're not interested, scroll on by. ;-)

DH and I visited the National Museum (of Natural History) in Dublin during our trip. This was another "must do" on the itinerary. The museum is excellent. The highlight of our visit there was an unexpected surprise: the display of bog men, or bog bodies.
You can visit this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4632296.stm to read about them, or just "google" the words bog bodies ireland and you can read to your heart's delight. LOL All in all we found the mummified people quite fascinating and the bodies were on full display there, carefully preserved in climate controlled display cases.

On most of the golf courses there were little wild Irish roses growing in what is called the rough, on a golf course; the tall unmowed grass that one does NOT want to hit their ball into. These things ranged anywhere from six inches high to 15 inches high and all were blooming! Even the little six inchers, blooming on one stalk. I was quite taken with them, as well as fascinated. On one golf course I saw a few short (6" high) yellow thistle plants. I wish I had taken a photo, since I didn't see any more.

All the gorse was in full bloom while we were south of Dublin, and it was spectacular. That's also another part of the golf course one does NOT want to hit their ball into. Consider it lost. LOL

The plants in Ireland (as well as Scotland) never cease to amaze me. There are all sorts of flowers growing wild that are difficult to cultivate in our own gardens here in Tennessee: foxglove for example. Roses growing with hardly any blackspot (...sighs....) and spectacular blossoms. Palm trees. Palm trees! I've seen them in Scotland also. We have none of that in Tennessee. :-o

Welp, that's the garden report. LOL If I think of anything else that might be remotely interesting, I'll post it. :-)

Doris W. in TN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home