Sunday, June 3, 2007

Bite wounds/cats

Given that I work with wild cats and spend a silly amount of every summer trapping them and transporting them about the countryside, after stealing their kittens when I can find them, I am something of an expert on the resulting injuries! LOL I do not think that cat bites are inherently more dangerous that any other bites. I think the main consideration is that they are puncture wounds and are equally as dangerous as any other puncture wound. I have a little card in my wallet with the date of my last tetanus shot on it, so I don't end up getting a new one every time I get bitten -- it is vital to have a tetanus shot if you get any sort of puncture wound. I don't know what nasty little bug was growing in your wound, Jane, but it sounds very similar to one I got off a scratch I picked up in the chicken run a couple of years ago -- about 20 hours after the scratch I was in the ER hearing I was at risk of losing some or all of my hand.... I was lucky, but I can still see the depression in the back of my hand where I lost tissue. But that has never happened to me from a cat bite or scratch!

Doris, I had a great grandmother from Ireland, although I know nothing about her or her family. My great grandfather married her and took her back to London when he was involved with the British Survey of Ireland, and then some years later they came to Canada with their children. She lived precisely where I live now -- my house is situated on the spot where they had their cabin. Maybe someday I will try to find out more about her background...

But now I am heading off to pull a few weeds while the sun is still shining and the house guest is away for a while...

Jean

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home