Sunday, June 17, 2007

DORIS, WEIGH IN, RACCOONS

Doris, after trying to figure out the title of your last post I finally got it! I won't say any more so as to avoid a flame fest.

Today's weigh in was a mood lifter. After having gained back every ounce of my seven pound loss on my trip to Callaway Gardens I was a bit discouraged. As of today I'm back to that point so it can only go up hill (down hill in terms of fat) from here. Finally getting back to some regular exercise after all my travel, medical crap and lethargic habits.

I never published the Al Brown raccoon repellent (negative reinforcement) method. Since our bird feeders were hung from wooden arms he'd attached to a 4x4, or possibly 6x6 post, also wood, he wired the post and arms to house current. It was easy to separate the positive and negative lines far enough so that the birds wouldn't be able accidentally to close the circuit but the squirrels and 'coons would. Only one squirrel died but a few others got a hot foot. The best part was that the 'coon problem was completely solved. Never again did we find a feeder on the ground, broken beyond repair and with contents gone. The only problem was that I, as the usual feeder filler, would occasionally reach out to the post to steady myself as the post was located on a fairly steep grade. Since I'm not as smart as the 'coons it took a number of zaps before it was finallyh imprinted on my dim mind that touching that post should be done with great care.

Jane in NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home