Monday, April 30, 2007

This & That

Slow speed dial up here in the country is sure a pain in the patoui or however one spells it. Someone asked if everything was alright as I wasn't posting often but it seems to take me five minutes to go through the process of posting (I'm sure it's only two) than before when it was a quick click onto the previous board. Not complaining because this is a better system, believe me. The internet dial-up out here just cost me a three month B&B booking yesterday; the man, a lawyer, needed hi-speed to connect to his colleagues at night. Nothing we can do about it unless we want to pay monthly for services such as a dish or satelite. It will come eventually.

Lavinia, such a pretty picture of the flower but your soil down there in Tenn. is what reminded me of how much I like your state and how rich and rusty the soil becomes as your go further south into Georgia. Marion, what a lovely quilt. Those sailors of yours will be thrilled to receive it. What a lot of effort you've put into it. I'm glad it's you going into fall and not us. We really need a break in our weather and the grass is greening up nicely now. This morning when I came down into the studio, a racoon was nibbling beneath my bird feeder so I now know who is stealing all the suet out of my birdfeeders. Not sure how she gets up there as we have a squirrel guard on the pole but she's obviously managing it somehow. That will be the end of the suet for this season I suspect.

And speaking about age, I'm sure my friends must think I'm getting stranger with the years. Last week I flew down to Halifax, taking a male friend on an airline pass because he was complaining about the cost of the flight out of Toronto (this is a man who is worth well over a million dollars himself though these days I guess some might say that in liquidating yourself, that isn't what it used to be...but you get the picture, no-one would have to take up a tag-day for him). The pass was considerably less. But the point is (and I should mention that the point of the quick trip was to visit his brother who is close to the end with cancer and he was his best man, I was their maid of honour so many years ago) that he rented a car as we had to drive an hour to reach his brother's home along the Atlantic coast. I had queried him about his driving skills (he's 75) as Jock is quite absent minded in his driving these days and my nerves just can't take him peering at the clouds instead of the road any more. This chap said he was a good driver. He was. I was relieved that I wasn't driving so that I could enjoy Nova Scotia as the last time I was in the province, I was the official and only driver in the car. On the flight back, my friend popped some vitamins. I asked what they were...he just said casually, they were for his eyesight. He's loosing it, like most of us, our eyes alter as we grow older. Shoot, growing older may just be a number, as Jane says, but it's a double digit that I can't believe I'm reaching.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home