Sunday, April 22, 2007

LAY/LIE

Rosey, I believe you were correct in the first place. While reading your post I took note of the fact that you had it right. The distinction seems to be getting lost these days. One is transitive and the other not. Not having gone to the 7th grade (BGF and I skipped with three others because they ran out of seats) I'm not sure of the technical terms but my understanding is that to lay is to place something on a surface as in lay out the pattern on the fabric. To lie is to recline as I will lie down. Lay the wreath on the grave. Lie on the examination table Mrs. Brown. Okay you English majors. Help me out here.

Lavinia, you have every right to brag. Huzzah!

Weight: Since I've been feeling like a limp rag I haven't been doing much in the way of exercise so am not hopeful about today's weigh-in. Took Shadow for a hike yesterday and I lay (laid) about (past tense of to lie?) the rest of the day recovering. Oh well, here I go to the scale. Last week I was at the same spot of the previous week of net loss of 4.5 lbs. --- Okay, I just weighed in and have managed to hold the net loss noted here. I'm pleased that it wasn't a gain. That is only about 10% of my ultimate goal but as they say at Weight Watchers, I don't want it back. I must redouble my efforts and do less lying and laying about.

Time for my Forteo shot and breakfast.

Jane in NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home