Sunday, April 22, 2007

I'm out of titles....

Lavina, what a beautiful quilt. I don't know the name of the pattern but the combination of pieced work and applique is very attractive. Quilts made at times of sadness in our lives somehow take on a special quality for the memories they hold forever in our minds. I look at the quilt on our bed at this moment and remember the winter of 'my discontent' when it helped me focus on something other than myself. Quilts are good at taking ourselves out of our present space and putting us into a better state of mind because they require such concentration. It's a good form of meditation.

Jane, I can well imagine guinea hens pecking in your yard collecting ticks but I can also see that Shadow would have a full-time responsibility in considering them her next meal. Your trip sounds just perfect. Enjoy Atlanta and I hope your sinus infection, (and I have one too at the moment and am on antibiotics...got through the whole winter without one) which seems par for the course given the time of year here and there, isn't a bother for you travelling. I'm sure you'll feel better.

Mayme, it's so surprising to realize that your energy after a hysterectomy just got up and 'went'. The hardest thing for me was to have patience with myself. I usually have an abundance of energy. Lying about is boring but it's part of healing, too. It sounds as though you are doing well given the operation is so recent.

Our weather here is up and down; last week-end during the Alpaca Ontario event, it was snowing; this week-end it is around 72 degrees during the day and the poor dogs aren't ready for this abrupt change. They haven't blown their coats yet, sensibly so. But it's allowing a head start on some gardening. Our spruce trees, this year for the first time in nearly the twenty we've lived here, have indeed 'blown' their small spruce cones and the ground around them (and the gardens unfortunately) are just a carpet of soft brown balls. We are collecting them and using them for kindling. That small amount of 'turpentine' I'm okay with in the fireplace flue.

Have delightful young and very bright Rumanian guests, not many years in Canada, who are hiking the Bruce Trail this week-end but the chap is into more natural forms of eating than I, and is eating raw eggs...washed carefully, organic or naturally raised and feels that this is a better form of protein than cooking the eggs. I feel this is so and they are aware of salmonella but wonder what I'm going to feed them for breakfast. The last time they were here I introduced them to oatmeal porridge, to which the wife has now become addicted. Won't do her any harm, that. They don't eat oatmeal porridge I guess in Rumania.

Rosey

1 Comments:

At April 22, 2007 at 5:56 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

Thanks, Rosey. The background is the Barn Raising Log Cabin setting, the vines and flowers were designed by a quilt shop owner in Fort Pierce, Florida (Theresa Field, Tomorrow's Heirlooms).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home