Friday, March 9, 2007

SPRING, BIRTHDAYS ETC.




I think I mentioned yesterday that there has been a blessed event recently on Caney Fork. There is a horse farm down the road and I saw junior having his breakfast. Today I had the camera and stopped and took over thirty shots. Junior has grown spectacularly in the past week. He's not such a baby anymore but Mom still doesn't get more than a few yards away from him. She's very watchful and wouldn't let him get to close to me at the fence. I didn't know he had the dark rings around the eyes until today. The beauty of a digital camera is that you can take thirty shots and eliminate all but the very best without having to incur the cost of development. I cropped these very closely as i was quite a distance from them. The Passo Finos are beautiful animals and, from my perspective as an uninformed dolt I think they must have Arab in them.

I didn't get the point of Rosey's comment about her birthday until I read a subsequent post. I'm the baby of the March ladies, by seventeen days. Rosey, are you not at that same decade mark? Just thought I'd let that cat out of the bag. Hope you and Reanne have had a great day. One of the quilt shops in Franklin emailed me a 25% off coupon in honor of this month being my birthday month. Another offers a discount equivalent to half of your age but you have to remember to renew your enrollment during the month of may each year. Dumbbell Jane forgot. I have practically bankrupted that shop in the past and now I'm up to 35% or would be if I'd registered last May.

As soon as the first wildflowers bloom I'll post some pictures. I have quite a few I've taken with my serious 35 mm. camera. I can get much closer with the 28mm. lens I have for it than I can for my digital. Recently I've gotten so clumsy in my state of advanced youth that I end up being so unsteady that I haven't gotten any really good pictures of flowers. The first ones are usually blood root. It's a lovely white flower as are most of the early spring flowers. The roots have a dark red seepage if you break them and does it ever stain. The Cherokee people use that root to stain the super thin oak strips used in their traditional baskets which are exquisite. In case you've not noticed I love living here!

Had a good time at the big frame with a group of guild ladies today. Two fingers are a bit chewed up on my left hand though.

Anybody going to Pigeon Forge show next week? I'll be there but not sure which day. Two of the three ladies I've gone in the past can go only on Saturday (National Quilt Day) and one can go any day but Saturday. Arrgh. Think I'll go Saturday despite the heavier traffic because the none Saturday friend and I went last year while the other two missed it.

Let me know if anyone here will be there.

Jane

1 Comments:

At March 11, 2007 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Jane, those photos are lovely. Thank you for posting them. There are difficulties associated with living in the country but lots of compensations too !
Looking at the photos, I could almost feel "spring in the air.." Here, I am looking at the leaves changing colour !!

Have a good day.
Marion.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home