Monday, March 19, 2007

Fun with dyeing


For most folks, buying socks is easy, just go to the store and pick out some from a huge selection. I have rather large feet, so that's not a good option for me. Women's cotton socks for large feet only seem to come in black or white. So, I ordered a dozen pairs of ready-to-dye socks in men's size from Dharma Trading Co. (NAYYY) and got out the dye that I had purchased a couple of years ago at Paducah at the quilt show and never used. I followed the directions in Helen Dieghan's book, "Magic Dyeing Made Easy". Three pairs of the socks, I folded up and put rubber bands around to hold them in place while in the dye, and I love the way they turned out. All the socks were done with yellow, fuschia, turquoise, and black (only 3 pairs have black in them). What a fun way to spend some time! I used the leftover dye to color two pieces of fabric, pics on the other board.
Pat in Rockport, TX

2 Comments:

At March 19, 2007 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

NOW I know how to get those orange socks I've been trying to find. Never even thought about dyeing my own. I've done other dye projects with Meredith in Calgary. What a lot of fun to see how things turn out!

Kathi

 
At March 19, 2007 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Pat in Rockport, TX said...

It's really fun to see what comes out, can't really tell before they're done what they will look like exactly. I know you'll have a good time, and you'll love your socks. Nobody should have to wear boring socks.

Pat

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home