Saturday, March 7, 2015

GPS devices

MARION in NZ - those GPS devices aren't always reliable (LOL).    I've read internet accounts of people spelling the destination correctly, but the GPS programming was a bit off and they got lost.  Recently, we had some bad storms here in the U.S. and horrible flooding as a result.  The news carried a story of a (not-too-bright) woman who went around "Road Closed Due to High Water"  and right into a flooded road.  She had to be rescued!  Her excuse was that her GPS unit directed her to drive down that street.   Um... hel-lo?!?   

I rather like your over-size photos of summer and the beach, so don't worry too much about that.  We have the option here on this "blog" for the size of the photo when we post it.  I don't know if that option shows up on the iPad.  I always post from my desktop PC.

We had snow again this week.  Three inches, and it was a pretty snow with no ice.  Because it was snow, or else our little dog Sophie finally adapted to all that cold white stuff,  she got down to business and did her business, right off the bat this time.  Hooray!    Nonetheless, three inches of snow managed to disrupt lives, schedules, and the rhythm of the state (it was a large storm --- "Thor")  When did they begin naming winter snow storms???

ON THE BRIGHTER SIDE (because I am SO over winter!) I recently finished reading Show Dog  by Josh Dean.   The non-fiction  book follows a dog and its owner from puppy purchase to the dog show circuit.  The original owner never planned to show the dog when she bought it.   The writing is entertaining as well as informative.   I never had a desire to show a dog, and this book reinforced it.   I borrowed it from my local library and ended up buying my own copy because I will definitely read it again.   All the information about how the dog show system works, with earning points and such, and what it takes to qualify for Westminster (and I imagine Crufts works the same way), was fascinating.  There is so much info, however, that I'll read it again so that I can fully digest it all.

Stay warm, everyone, especially Rosey up there  in Canada!!!
Hugs to all.

3 Comments:

At March 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Bee said...

the new house has a watering system and we will be watching when Gus goes potty for the first time and are nasty enough to hope he finds a water thingy .I must add he has been around ladies all his life and squats as they do,when he was younger he used to stand and sort of wave his leg ,I think the raucus,spelling, laughter put him off even trying.

 
At March 8, 2015 at 7:10 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Doris, the winter down through the mid-west US, I think that's the correct approximation, has been very bad this year. we see pictures of interstate highways and accidents and then Boston has had a record snowfall this year. We've been relatively lucky up here...about two feet of snow or more, I'd say, but the freezing temperatures kept many inside this year and I've not been snowshoeing as often as I'd like. This week, we are warming up and spring looks to be on the distant horizon.
Rosey

 
At March 9, 2015 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

Doris,
Naming those storms is all about the drama! I do not want my weather report to be dramatic no matter the weather conditions - good or bad. It is my pet peeve now days, that and the news reports. "Just the facts, mam." is my motto.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home