Friday, March 6, 2015

That sounded so easy didn't it ?

The bit about going to a nearby beach and enjoying a walk.....  Not so !  

Thanks to the DH neglecting to check the spelling of our desired destination, th GPS took us around the suburbs of the city for quite some time.... I actually knew the way to the beach , but himself wasn't sure and thought he was better to rely on the G.P.S.. than his wife...!?!    Big mistake !  

Eventually I felt obliged to point out that we were driving inland. He thought it wise to stop and reconsider when he saw the sign  saying Airport and Motorway.    We were aiming for  Maraetai , a Maori spelling for a lovely beach area.   It is pronounced something like "My right eye.  ".  I asked if he had checked the spelling ... no.....he had decided that Muritie was close enough..... there must be somewhere called something like that , as the GPS lady was patiently telling us to "turn left, turn right etc. etc." 

We typed in the right spelling and our problems were over.  We arrived in time for lunch and enjoyed a good long walk.  These machines and gadgets, designed to simplify our lives, are only as good as their operators...  That is my thought for today !

Marion.

2 Comments:

At March 7, 2015 at 6:56 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Marion, that's my smile for the day. How true. Thank you for the chuckles. The GPS I suppose is good but to me, I'd rather rely on good old maps and road signs. Because I'm in the B&B business, I tell my guests, here are the directions, don't rely on your GPS, it will take you on busy highways because that's what it does, gets you there efficiently and stuck in traffic going across the city of Toronto. I offer secondary highway routing and less stress with my directions. One couple were told to go far north of our place here in the country. Fortunately, they called, I told them how to get here and to scrap the GPS. Perhaps they had put an incorrect destination as R. had done. Could you stop smiling inwardly when he discovered his misspelling? And that is surely a story to go down into the annals of family history with R's humorous escapades.
Rosey

 
At March 7, 2015 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

Great story, Marion! Glad you ended up there in the end. We had overseas visitors come up last weekend. I had sent directions to them (as Rosey does) but even then they missed the exit from the freeway in Adelaide (which I'm not that familiar with and didn't know I had to warn them about). They went NE instead if N and ended up almost to the border. A 4 1/2 hour journey turned into a 7 hour one, but they enjoyed the detour, they said LOL. A GPS in the hire car may have warned them earlier.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home