Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pox removed, Doris, glad you're back down into winter again


I may have posted one of these photos before.  This is NOT taken this year.  Rather, in the fall of one year, thus the green grass.  Today, in late afternoon, we finally took delivery of another two loads of logs.  The bush in Algonquin Park up north was very wet and muddy this past summer and the logs pulled out of the bush were covered in mud.  Not good for chain saw blades.  Today, the laneway is covered in snow, spread with woodstove ashes for traction as the big double pup trailer load made it's way down the laneway.  We heat by wood, although we have an electric forced air furnace.  It was one of the main reasons for buying the house 27 years ago, as I have a dysregulation of my immune system, Multiple Chemical Sensitivites, not recognized by many in the medical field, it is, nevertheless legitimate and been officially recognized now.  I react to oil and gas heating.  The cost of Ontario Hydro has become so expensive that we have heated with wood now for 25 years.  Himself cuts it up into fireplace log lengths, then we get a log splitter and gather whoever is around to help in exchange for a nice hot meal at lunchtime.  (Fran's son, Shannon, helped us one Thanksgiving).  As you can see the length of the laneway means that the truck has to back up and manage to get through the gates at the end of the laneway, all of which the driver did and did well.  It's amazing how anyone can drive these huge trucks and back it up and down a hill on a narrow country laneway.  I packed him a sandwich and thermos of hot chocolate and he was on his way back up north, three hours away.  If we run out of wood this winter, at least we have logs out there to cut instead of throwing in the furniture to heat the house.
And we are both getting old.  I'm amazed at how himself can cut and stack the logs ready for splitting.  Living in the country, there is far more physical activity involved, if you choose.  Friends of ours up the line live very much as they did in the city,  hiring help to manage their 100 acres of land.  I prefer the physical activity.
Rosey P, in Southern Ontario, Canada where it is bitterly cold...but I love it.  I just don't like to see pictures of flowers growing on the west coast of Canada at the moment.

6 Comments:

At January 22, 2015 at 8:52 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

When my son was tiny, we lived in a house heated by oil. He had asthmatic bronchitis for two winters. My dad was asthmatic so we assumed that he was, also. We moved to a home heated with wood and the asthmatic bronchitis stopped. The doctor said he just 'outgrew' his problem. I never thought so and never again lived in a home heated by oil. Lots of work, but a problem solved.
MaryJo

 
At January 22, 2015 at 8:52 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

When my son was tiny, we lived in a house heated by oil. He had asthmatic bronchitis for two winters. My dad was asthmatic so we assumed that he was, also. We moved to a home heated with wood and the asthmatic bronchitis stopped. The doctor said he just 'outgrew' his problem. I never thought so and never again lived in a home heated by oil. Lots of work, but a problem solved.
MaryJo

 
At January 22, 2015 at 8:53 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Sheesh, This is from mary Jo not me...Rosey

 
At January 22, 2015 at 10:50 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

I have become involved in watching television at night, in my old age. I tried to post between Doc Martin and Masterpiece Theatre with Detective Zen, which I still don't understand the plot, it's so convoluted and their voices, am I getting hard of hearing??!! So I messed up Mary Jo's comment so will comment to hers above, sorry for the repeated mess.
Rosey

 
At January 23, 2015 at 7:07 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

I'm sure that MaryJo will forgive you Rosey ! The rest of us are very impressed that you can "post" for her !
Love the photos , do you really go through all that wood in a winter ? It would last us forever, we have a log burner and an open fire, no central heating here but usually lots of winter sunshine to keep the house warm !

 
At January 23, 2015 at 10:09 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Marion, I am not that swift in the ways of computers really...Jean in Mill Bay is a cracker at it...I'm a luddite.

The wood...we get about 13 to 14 bush cords out of that load. It will last one winter and half of the next depending on the length of winter. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, I can't tolerate oil or gas heating but I don't react to wood heating or electric heating, the latter of which is horribly expensive now here in Ontario. We have two fires going, one in the woodstove in the familyroom at the back of the house, the other in the livingroom in the front of the house. Heat rises but when B&B guests are here in winter overnight, we turn on the furnace for them. J cuts that whole load, one gas tank a day, a year ago last fall he got through that whole load cutting it into lengths, not splitting it, in six weeks. That was quite something. We didn't finish splitting it until late last summer. We stack in in round hut-like shapes, the wind and weather get to it all around the circumference of the stack, dries it out better.

I was talking to the photographer who does my quilts for me for entries and he lives the same way we do not far from here but he cuts wood from his own property, doesn't have to buy it as we do. He has his own chickens, lives close to the land. Not a lot of people live like that any more even here in the country. I prefer living like this, it's a more physical life but it helps keep us fit.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home