Thursday, January 15, 2015

Hey Ya'll!

Been away from the board, but just now catching up.  The pictures are beautiful, love the large quilt and also Love the rug by the door and the great close ups of the flowers.  That DH of your is one smart man for suggesting the dry cleaning.
Has been "Cold" here- I'm sure a very relative term for the Canadian friends.  My DD & family live in a weather zone that is close to Winnipeg so I have that on my cell phone.   8 degrees there, 48 here, but foggy for 4 days and rain today.  Is it any wonder that I'm down and gloomy also.  Florida is the Sunshine State - and it's supposed to clear out tomorrow and be really sunny and warmer Sat.  So we hope to get in a 5-6 mile bike ride.  Trying to do yoga once a week, and walk or other activities 3X's a week, eat yogert,  etc.
Rosey, thanks for your wonderful way with words about immigrants.  I did not read all the comments because I tend to go down "rabbit trails" and never remember what I started out to do.
I'm not sure what we in America call Native Americans-Indians - maybe just Indians- but if one isn't that-- we were immigrants.  I have heard oral stories, but of fammine not of threats of death.  Being sent to Florida to live with relatives is what the Cubans did after the failed Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba, so there are many 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd generation Cuban-Americans here. One of my dear friends here in the neighborhood has such a story.  She and her sister were sent to New Jersey -under the direction and protection of the Roman Catholic Pope- in operation Peter Pan-Pedro Pan) they went to a Convent- were not allowed to speak Spanish by the nuns and snuck off into the bathroom at night to speak to each other in their native language.
We also have many Vietnamiese immigrants here in Jacksonville, due to it being the location of Luthern Social Services- who's main focus is re-location of immigrants from war torn lands.
Thanks for your cyber-friendship ladies, it's been a rough, rough road the last 2 years, my Mom is in the very end of the end of life, we are yet again making an offer on a condo at the beach, and my health is suffering.  Stress is overwheming when there is no let up.  The ultimately being by the beach   will be one of my many earthly rewards of walking this walk.
Obviously no quilting going here, and I'm not ready to learn another "new" thing.
Sara in Florida



6 Comments:

At January 16, 2015 at 2:03 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

It has been a long road for you Sara but you will recover with time. Hang in there and continue to take care of yourself. Maybe have just a little quilting project going for the sanity that brings. I am always surprised by how much better I feel after time in the studio and tell myself each time to do that more often. I know life can get in the way but being kind to yourself is a must.

 
At January 16, 2015 at 3:52 AM , Blogger Bee said...

I always have something small to sew by hand and so enjoy doing so .It really makes me feel better and productive if only in a small way. It is like a security blanket to me and even if I come back home with the item in the same state as when I left I still feel better.

 
At January 16, 2015 at 8:40 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Sara, when I am stressed, I cannot settle to work in my studio. That is when I go to the gym, run the roads around here in the country, as we say, go, go, go. I cannot settle my mind, a 'monkey mind' someone referred to it as. Laura and Bee both have expressed exactly the way I feel in having something to do with my hands, whatever it is. In stressful times, I try to have a mindless project at hand, something that doesn't require creative thought other than in choosing colours. I am presently signing over copyright to two of my designs which I don't want lost, one of which is again going to be featured in Canadian Living magazine in their April issue. It is a timely pattern for Canadians. But in rewording my website, I've made a similar comment to Laura and Bee, my quilting has sustained me over the years. If you wish to read it, it is at: www.farmerswalkbb.com and go into the quilt page.
For your mother, her journey in this life is nearly completed; hard to watch, it could or may be us, one day. You have something to hold onto, the future. The information regarding the refugees in Florida is interesting. We know so little really of what goes on in other parts of the country and the world for that fact other than what is broadcast on the news.
Rosey

 
At January 16, 2015 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Sara, you have had a rough year or two, I hope this year will be easier for you.
I have what I call an "activities bag..." !! It has a variety of small projects, ready prepared for "those days" ..you know the sort...those when we are low on inspiration, have time to fill in, are away from home etc (as Bee said..its like a security blanket really !!) Today we have another One Day cricket game on TV. NZ won the first one, Sri Lanka won the second one, so this should be a good game ! I'll have my bag at the ready, incase it gets boring !?!

 
At January 16, 2015 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 16, 2015 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home