Monday, January 19, 2015

MaryJoG via Rosey's posting service

This is the latest quilt made for a class this month.  About ten years ago, we were traveling through Montana.  I sketched the Bitteroot Mountains planning to make a quilt. Unfortunately, I did not finish the sketch and took no pics.  The mountains were easy but there were many trials followed by sessions with the stitch ripper before settling on a ghost town nestled in the tree line.  Can see that the quilt needs blocked.  Am going to try a method suggested in a new book, using canvas for a backing on art quilts.  Will try that on the Tuscany quilt in progress.  It will not have batting.
We are stuck in a cycle of freezing fog, then snow, freezing rain and more fog.  I'm more than ready for spring.  May help that along with a seed order this evening.  This afternoon will find me at 'Farmer's Wife' to sharpen my piecing skills.
 
I have a treasure to photo and will post it.  My grandmother talked of walking to Sunday School with her Grandma in Missouri.  She (my great, great g'ma) wore a hand made cut velvet cape with jet beads and taffeta sunbonnet.  Will figure out how to get the best pics of them as they are black.  Difficult to see the details.
MaryJo

4 Comments:

At January 19, 2015 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

What amazing work Maryjo. When I see work like that, and Rosey's work shown on her web page, I wonder how I come to be on this page at all....I am truly among the "greats" of the quilting world !
Looking forward to seeing your photo.

 
At January 19, 2015 at 7:06 PM , Blogger MJ said...

Thank you, Marion! I love to quilt and create. Have realized that it will take another hundred years to get all of the quilts in my mind made.

 
At January 20, 2015 at 4:07 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

MaryJo - OOooooh, so gorgeous!!!
"Purple mountains' majesty..." comes to mind, from the song "American the Beautiful."

 
At January 26, 2015 at 3:06 AM , Blogger Laura in IA said...

Mary Jo,
Your quilt is so calming and relaxing. I love it. I would hang it on my wall any day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home