Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Cinque Terre

I have pics from Orvieto and Assisi, but won't bore you with them.   I really enjoyed the scenery of the Cinque Terre.   We took a boat from La Specia up to the Cinque Terre and got off at Monterosso.  Monterosso and Vernazza suffered an incredible rainfall and flood in October 2011.  You can Google it and learn more.   Both towns went to work mucking out and cleaning up, and opened just in time for tourist season.  It is true testament to the industriousness of the Italians.  I was truly gobsmacked over how the land was terraced and farmed where possible.   I don't know how they manage on those slopes!   There is no way they can be using what we know as traditional farm machinery!
I also cannot imagine how they get rushed to hospital in an emergency, other than a helicopter.

Click on a photo to enlarge, then hit your "back" button to return to the page.








5 Comments:

At June 16, 2012 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

This is somewhere we didn't get to go, but would have dearly loved to! Beautiful photos, Doris!

Fran

 
At June 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

OH, the houses on the side of the hill would give me pause. I do love the terraced fields.
Sara in Fla.

 
At June 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Having lived on the flat Canterbury Plains, for most of my 50yrs in NZ. I would find it quite a challenge to live on those hillsides !! Very pretty though... Thank you so much for posting the photos Doris. They have been a real tonic for me this week.

Marion.

 
At June 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Doris, these photos are stunning. Taken from a boat/ship were they not? They're so beautiful. I am going to save them to my picture file so that I can see where half my human genes come from...although from the north, not the south.
Rosey

 
At June 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

You just can't help but wonder what it would be like to live there.
Truly amazing! Thanks for sharing
all these wonderful pictures Doris.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home