Friday, January 6, 2012

Such a handsome dog !

Here's Holly, intently watching the birds on the bird table, hoping that they will drop a morsel of food for her..

Fran, good to get news from you. Can't imagine how uncomfortable those temperatures would be !. When it gets to 30 here, I tend to give up on any activity other than trying to keep cool ! So pleased that you enjoyed the new "little people" in the family. I can imagine your heart melting when an almost 2yr old called you Nana for the first time.

Rosey, thank you for the photo and the information. What a lot of wood. My DH has just filled our tiny wood shed and tells me that it should be enough to last for us through two winters... That tells you a bit about our respective winters I guess !

A muggy day here today , very hot when the sun comes through. We have had a quiet day at home pottering around the garden. We had friends over for dinner last night and ate too much...So easy to do at this time of the year isn't it ? It's left us feeling sluggish today and not very motivated. Another bad night of shakes didn't help... The experts all met in Christchurch yesterday, to try to come to grips with what is happening and what might happen.... The meeting was interrupted by two shakes a 3.5 followed by a 5... The meeting continued on... ! Not much left to fall now and most places where people meet together have been well checked out. The outcome was that this could go on for decades, not months, even though the likelihood of anything more than a 5 magnitude shake is slim...

I read an interesting article in the paper today, written by a young woman who described herself as a "Luddite". She says that the concept of new technology does not come naturally to her. (!) She was quite proud of her low-tech life until she realised that there is nothing so ageing as refusing to engage with technological developments... (I've got news for her !!) She gave herself a week to "engage" The first day she gave herself a migraine, the following days made her aware of the fact that she needed more sophisticated equipment to be able to down load all the things that she didn't need . By the end of a very trying week she had downloaded a few apps (what on earth are apps...?) and felt very proud of herself. She decided that Facebook and Twitter were not for her, as they "take up time I'd rather spend doing something else". She felt less intimidated by technology because she had forced herself to try to understand what it was offering, but she also thought she really wasn't missing out on anything and would probably resort to her old ways . My sort of girl !

Time to get dinner. Just a light salad tonight I think !

Marion.

2 Comments:

At January 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Thanks for the post, Marion. I think of you Kiwi's and all the shaking. Yikes! I agree, there's probably not a end to that motion any time soon. :-(
Loved the story about the young woman attempting modern technology. Good on her!
Hugz, Mary in Oregon

 
At January 9, 2012 at 6:03 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

leaving a post here leaves me as confused as the woman in your article, Marion. I am famous for saying: "we don't need a computer in the house". A luddite as well, Facebook, Twitter, Iphones,Ipads, Kindles, whatever, all new 'buzz' words to me, I enjoy what I need out of a computer and find what I do, takes up more of my time than is creatively necessary in my life.

Love the photo of Holly. Better still, that lovely green colour she's sitting on.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home