Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thanksgiving Turkey

Since I deleted the weather posting, I feel okay making another one. Thanksgiving week-end is coming up here in Canada this week-end. For years, the tradition here has been to supply a turkey dinner at noon Sunday or Monday and have whatever family can come from wherever and help with the splitting of our winter's wood. We rent a hydrolic log splitter that goes both ways and cuts quickly. The turkey runs about on a farm 4 or 5 miles to the east of us here in the country and when himself and I went to pick it up from the farm, all 29 lbs, this morning, we were directed down to the 'green' barn. So, off I set in my car down a narrow track that turned into a field, two gates were opened and lo and behold two well-fed donkeys stood there. Plus....four horses of a very curious nature. Annie, the pup, was in her crate in the back of the car and she's horse and cow obsessed...lots of barking from the back of the car when she sees them in the fields...very brave of her. Hope was loose in the back; windows open. The horses stood right in front of the Pathfinder and wouldn't move, had to be shooed off so I could pull up to the barn. The white pony stuck its head into the doorway of the barn while the larger horses stuck their heads inside the car. Annie shut up pretty quickly. Trying to back out, same thing, horses wouldn't move and one was chewing something on the back of my car. One last horse's head inside the open window on my side of the car left me disolved in laughter as I imagined my city friends going to the super market and buying their Thanksgiving turkey from a pristine white meat counter. I hope I can remember those exact images as I grow older...they'll bring a smile to my face for sure.
Rosey

1 Comments:

At October 6, 2011 at 5:43 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

What a wonderful visual! Wish you'd had a camera to capture the look on Annie's face.

Kathi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home