Thursday, September 22, 2011

IT'S NOT JUST A WESTERN THING

It applies to the mountains in the south east as well. My quilt guild meetings are only about 35 miles from here and it takes an hour on a good day and longer if I get stuck behind a logging truck or trailer hauling a huge load of hay. I have to go west/southwest then north, then west, then south to Franklin. It's 1.5 hrs to Asheville and is 75 miles by road and probably about forty as the crow flies. There was only one traffic light between my place and downtown Sylva, the county seat, when we started vacationing here in mid 80s. Now there are at least 6, probably more. It's 18 miles to downtown Sylva for me and it often takes 40 minutes. It's also beautiful and quiet as it is now at 8:50 pm except for the sound of tree frogs, an occasional owl and, they tell me, coyotes. Sadly once I remove my hearing aids at bed time I don't hear any of these songs of the night.

Jane

1 Comments:

At September 25, 2011 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Jane-you still live in one of the most beautiful spots in the US. At least in the Eastern U.S. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to stay there all winter as you are, but it must be good "leaf time" right now.
Sara

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home