Monday, July 25, 2011

the laundry wars ;-)

. . . well, that is what my DH calls it. I call it the Detergent War. LOL ;o)

I am still trying to get the hang of our front-load washing machine. Sheesh! It has been three months now.... but that learning curve is still there, and it is all in HOW MUCH DETERGENT TO USE. There are two "camps" on how much HE detergent to use in HE machines, and what do I know? It's all new to me. One 'camp' says to use what the HE detergent label says and the other camp says to the "use half the recommended amount". (this reminds me of quilters arguing over which size between needle to use for hand quilting-LOL)

Some of my cotton knit shirts were downright scratchy and stiff, and sheets were getting crunchy --- all from detergent residue --- due to detergent overdosing. I'd been using the recommended amounts, and sometimes half the amount. I FINALLY called the toll-free consumer support number for my machine and talked with a representative, who told me to use one-fourth of what the detergent label says. Seriously? one-fourth? The salesman told me that but I thought he meant regular non-HE detergent, and I wasn't taking any chances by using that stuff and having a suds-athon in my new machine. Apparently this machine uses so little water that it doesn't take much detergent.

In the meantime, Bob rolls his eyes at me running into the laundry room on a regular basis, with flashlight in hand, to check for suds, etc He has accused me of watching the laundry more than the TV. LOL Well, I think he was right, but it is far more interesting than most of what is on the TV. ;o)

I spent all one day, last week, re-washing our clothing, multiple times and without detergent. I checked the rinse cycles, and if I saw any suds or bubbles at all, I kept rinsing until there were none. Things are feeling soft again. I truly do not understand why the owner's manual of this machine does not say to use 1/4 the recommended amount of detergent. Gah!

It is still better than beating the laundry against a rock in a river, or using a hand-crank wringer washer, but ... gah!

Welp, I've procrastinated enough and need to go outside and mow the lawn. blech!
Hugs to everyone!

1 Comments:

At July 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

AH-A woman after my own heart. I sat on the floor and watched the laundry spin for days when I first got the front loader.
I didn't know about the 1/4th suggestion, but know I prob. use too much of the regular stuff. But I put a fabric dryer sheet in the dryer load so it isn't stiff.
I gave up doing the mowning after about 5 yrs. here. The grass kicked up the allergies, and I was a mess for abt. 12 hrs after. Not worth it.
We are having a big-old rain storm right now and the dogs are under my feet.
Sara in Fla.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home