Wednesday, January 12, 2011

quilt


This quilt is for a friend who is very feminine. She likes pink, lace, and ruffles. She picked the floral border and asked me to make a quilt for her master bedroom, which she shares with a husband who hunts, and is very much into "manly" sports.
The quilt proper is a series of variations on pink and green 8-pointed stars, frequently with floral centers, set so that the star blocks are themselves the centers of stars formed in the dark green. The overall appearance is very geometric, but softer because of the flowers. So far, both of them say they like it.
So, softer, like Rosey said, or more dramatic for the binding?

3 Comments:

At January 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

I could not see the green binding in your earlier post, because it was sitting against a dark background. My computer color must be set too dark.

I think the border or binding needs the dark green in it somewhere, to balance out the green stars in the middle of the quilt. The dark green reads "heavy" against the pastel pinks in the photo.

Many quilts I see in the Keepsake Quilting catalog look gorgeous to my eyes, but the border often doesn't go with the quilt, in my non-professional untrained opinion.
They probably wouldn't like my quilt borders, either.LOL So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

 
At January 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

P. S. to my post above. Have you considered doing a dark green piping next to the binding? If your binding is 1/2" the piping could be 1/4". That might bring enough visual weight to the edge. Auditioning the fabrics might give the answer.

 
At January 13, 2011 at 5:19 PM , Blogger Jean at Mill Bay said...

I like the darker 'harder' binding. I think it balances the dark areas in the body of the quilt and keeps the whole thing from bleeding off the edges. But I will admit to a preference for clearly defined edges on quilts, so that is what I would use, but it is not necessarily the definitive answer for everyone else. :)
Jean

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home